Roon Arc--Any way to shuffle tracks?

IIRC, Roon will only shuffle 5000 tracks. That’s 250 hours of music. Why would anyone need more? The 5000 tracks will be different next time, I believe, with some duplication.

2 Likes

Then it’s probably not “useless”

1 Like

Arc is useless for shuffling library

1 Like

5K tracks is enough for me on Roon, but on ARC I have to create a new playlist for a new group of 5K tracks that haven’t been played. Then ARC takes forever to read all the tracks. It can be a pain. If ARC would incorporate bookmarks I would not have to create playlists. I may be expecting too much from ARC.

1 Like

No, you’re definitely not expecting too much from ARC. You’re just expecting too much from ARC 1.0, which is a recently released piece of software. Sounds like there is a fair bit of aspiration for the software and work in the pipeline.

While it makes sense to say this is 1.0 and Roon no doubt have quite the roadmap for the product, it’s a music app.

Playing tracks is quite literally it’s one job. It is perplexing that this incredibly basic functionality is missing. It’s even more strange when you consider the use case.

On the go or at work, you are less likely to be selecting or browsing albums (especially as focus and bookmarks are not a thing in arc).

2 Likes

There are many uses cases. Mine are already reasonably covered with the current features, my personal focus would be on making the damn thing work reliably, which apparently is enough of a challenge :slight_smile: Next would be credit editing because I don’t listen to it on the go or at work but e.g. when on a train for hours, where I would have time. And I essentially always play albums. Playing tracks, shuffle, and playlists would be far down on my personal list.

There’s lots to do for all the different needs and I think we just need patience :slight_smile:

1 Like

Playlists should not have to be made as you can do that thru native apps, or listen to entire album on native apps. If Roon radio works on Arc so should shuffle library. This is already in the support requests, but the support group fails to even acknowledge this request.

Also, when I say shuffle entire library 5k songs is fine, at least have Arc do that .
Oh, by the way, especially after price increase

So, I’m not a moderator. But I think there are some principles which you should probably get wise to, no matter how frustrated you are. This isn’t a bug, it’s by design or at least a choice. A bug is when something is supposed to work one way and works another way. A feature you don’t like is when it’s supposed to work one way and you don’t like it and wish it worked another way. You may not like that choice that they made. They made a lot of choices to get the first version out the door. The support group doesn’t handle feature requests, they handle bugs. The development team virtually never addresses their roadmap or expected timing. I’m not suggesting you should like this. Maybe you don’t. Complaining about it is fine. Up to a point, especially when you start finger wagging, and then I’d suggest it becomes incivil. And incivility does have implicit and explicit rules on this forum. So we understand you’re ticked off. You’ve made your point. Thank you. But please move on - they’ll either get to it or they won’t, and you’re free to make the choices you like to.

2 Likes

Oh, didn’t realize I was being uncivil. If you say so. Will try to be more civil next time,

Maybe the next time someone tells you that your work of two years is useless because it doesn’t (yet) do one thing that they’d like, you will understand. I wish we could all show a little bit more respect.

I can respond but I won’t. Please be civil

I am not your parents, but whatever. You reap what you sow

Exactly. My motto also

My new workaround is this.

• create a playlist called “ARC Shuffle”
  • Choose a Roon endpoint
  • go to queue and clear the queue
  • go to your tracks and select shuffle tracks. Then immediately pause the music.
  • go back to the queue. The shuffled tracks are there as normal. But go to the upper corner and select “add to a playlist”
  • choose the upcoming items button
  • place them in your new playlist
  • that shuffled queue is now accessible with ARC.

The function is identical. Until we get native shuffle… this works exactly as if you were playing the shuffle from that endpoint. You can add or clear that playlist and add a new shuffle at any time.

1 Like

@ TuliaNonTroppo that’s a pretty good temporary solution…

FYI: There is a feature request for this here:

We really need a way to shuffle saved Focus queries. ARC shuffling all tracks is a start - but we need to be able to select the contents of the shuffle as well. I get maybe its a lot of overhead to create a Focus within ARC, but to access an already created one would be outstanding!

ARC can shuffle any playlist. Just go to the playlists in your library, select the one you want and select shuffle. You don’t need to create a “shuffled” playlist.

I’d love to try this but am confused. Is this done in Arc? Roon? on phone or on desktop?

ARC can shuffle a playlist but cannot natively shuffle all tracks in a library. This is a workaround for that.