Roon Arc APK for Astell & Kern DAPS

It would be great if you could make a version of the Android APK that could be installed on Astell & Kern Daps that allow installation of APKs. The current version of the APK does not install on my A&K SP2000T.

Agree. But the bottleneck may be A&K, not Roon. That is, I’m able to download the Android version of Roon ARC to my SP2000, but it doesn’t recognize it

Yep, I went to SP3000 demo event hosted by A&K themselves and there was lots of feedback for ARC support. They responded by saying, “It’s very new and we are going to support it, but first we will have a talk with Roon team for certification.”

2 Likes

looks like the SP3000 just got roon arc via firmware update.

1 Like

would love this too

Wow. A&K added it fast. Hopefully A&K will also add it to other DAPS that support APKs.

1 Like

Does anyone know, is this limited to the SP3000 only? Would love to have arc on my Kann Alpha!

1 Like

Same here. Would love ARC on my Alpha. Would be the complete DAP for me then.

+1 on that… when Roon was launched for AK, the “top” models went first and then Alpha followed shortly after. Hopefully it will be the same for ARC

When will the Roon ready players get ARC? I have a Kann Max and can’t decide whether to subscribe without that ability.

1 Like

Same for me. In particular if it meant forgoing the incredibly cumbersome Android File Transfer app (from a Mac) and being able to rely on the transfer function to local offline storage via Roon ARC instead. THAT would be phantastic.

1 Like

A bit of a delayed reply, but I too am on a mac and the native android tranfer app is useless. I find Commander One Pro to be an excellent workaround as it supports android file transfer (MTP) natively. You should check it out.

Realy disapointed in Astell & Kern, I have two of their players and this is what I get as a reply to when will roon ARC be in all your firmare :slight_smile:

To drive Roon ARC, the role of the CPU is important, so it is necessary to review several things. Due to this situation, the update schedule for Roon ARC support is undecided.
Thank you for your understanding.

Groan Guess I need a better player lol

1 Like

I mean I get it, but dang.

Extremely disappointing. I have a Kann Alpha and love it, but ARC would be fantastic.

If the A&K doesnt use a OS build based on Android 9 or higher you wont get ARC as thats what it needs minimum.

Hello,

According to A&K, Roon ARC is currently not supported on other devices apart from the SP3000. The reason is said to be hardware limitations. The processor e.g. in the SP 2000T should not be enough.

The SP2000T runs Android 9.

Roon’s @support may be able to tell and clarify something here.

ARC can be played on a phone but not on a €2500 DAP?

There is not even the option of installing without ROON support because the hardware restrictions are not met. As a ROON Core, my NAS does not meet the hardware requirements either, but I am satisfied and it runs perfectly.

1 Like

Apparently it is a computing power issue. The SP3000 has a more powerful processor. Don’t know if it also has stronger networking hardware. ARC probably has a big appetite for bandwidth.

I think A&K are feeding us a line, I have a Ibasso DX220(Slightly modded OS) and a Sony NWA306 (Stock OS) which both run Roon ARC and have less processing power than the AK SE200. Modifying android to run on other devices is a hobby so I have played with Replacing the OS in android devices to support apps like roon ARC.

I honestly think this is marketing BS and they want us to spend mony on the latest and gratest.

I for one am selling my three A&K DAP’s becuse of the rubish support and updates these days, and I have been an A&K customer since the Iriver days like 30 years ago. Other ChiFi brands are making much more effert, FIIO for instance has come a long way in the last 10 yeas and you can now get much higer quality for much less mony.

The restrictions are all A&K not Roon, they decide what apps to allow to install on their devices. Roons minimum spec is Android 9 and usually OpenGL3 support not sure if the last one is a requirement for ARC as well. It’s designed to run on a wide range of Android devices and does well. A&K tend to use outdated stuff in their DAPs I know from my experience with one their networking side was not up to much as it would not work wijt Roon Ready properly. Fiio M11 Plus I have now is rock solid.

Hello,

Thank you for your opinion.

The processor was crucial here.

A Fiio is not an option for me.