Roon Arc cannot connect to my QNAP 251A

I opened the door. TCP and UDP. but it doesn’t work. I see there are many posts about it but none seems exact the same error I get

error is here
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“79.ggg.jjj.kkk”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

I alreay experienced opening the doors for Plexi players and that seems to work, but Roon ARC … no way

roon arc

You only need TCP because ARC does not use UDP. How did you open the port? The error seems typically to be a UPnP error:

this way (this is a picture from the Manual, obviously I put in the right port 55000 as stated in Roon Arc settings and the right internal IP of the NAS)

I tried no firewall to and it still doesn’t work

Do you mean the rules number 2 and 3? These forward the port number 89.

As I told you this is an image taken from the user manual because I’m not at home now. I made two rules exactly like rule 2 and 3 but port is 55000 as stated in Settings/Roon Arc menu

g

Ah yes sorry I didn’t see “from the manual”. :slight_smile:
It is difficult to say anything if you have us guess what you did or didn’t do…

Yes I understand… anyway I will end up giving up on ARC… I’m not a technician I cannot go further down the road with this topic, I’ll keep using Qobuz when on the road. Maybe I’ll do another try to put a call on my ISP, just in case…

Thank you anyway!
g

Seems like you have an upnp problem. Upnp must be enabled, try disable/enable upnp a couple of times.
You don’t need to forward any port withUDP, Roon doesn’t use UDP, delete that enter in your router. Try to use another port, try 50002 (you need to correct it inside Roon).
Good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Giving up is not an issue, my friend. ARC is great, together with TIDAL and your own library you are king​:grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Hi @Gianluca_Finistauri,

Do you have only one router in your setup? Just confirming.

Also, please verify that QFirewall isn’t interfering here, since you’re on a QNAP.

Please see @Nils-Elling_Stubberu’s suggestion above. If you have set up a manual port forwarding rule pointing to the same port in Roon → Settings → ARC, then you will not need UPnP active. Alternatively, you can try deactivating the rule and toggling UPnP back on.

If you encounter issues after taking the step above, then you’ll need to reach out to your ISP to request a dedicated WAN IP address.

Please keep us posted! We’re here to help.

Hi, the line goes from the ISP router to a TPlink hub (which seems to be just an electrical hub) and to the NAS

I tried with QNAP firewal deactivated but nothing changes. Yes I did what Nils and you suggest re UPnP port forwarding

g

I tryed to test my router from QNAP settings and it gives an error for the Roon port… not clear what does it mean actually

It also shows other ports I opened (for Plexi for example) that are working well

55002->192.168.1.9:55002 ‘5ceca1f8630a6f65634d07ba6d7c1a8d-Roon’ ‘’ GetGenericPortMappingEntry() returned 713 (SpecifiedArrayIndexInvalid)

g

Hi @Gianluca_Finistauri,

Thank you for your display of patience while awaiting a staff response here.

What is the most recent diagnostic in Settings → ARC? If you’ve created a manual rule but RoonServer will still not pass the port test in Settings → ARC, then your internet service provider has implemented carrier-grade network address translation (CG-NAT). I’d reach out to them directly to inquire if they have indeed implemented CG-NAT and whether a dedicated external IP address is available for your account. I’d also search this forum for other threads with your same service provider. Please note - Plex has a completely different mechanism for port forwarding from Roon, so it’s not guaranteed that one will in the same setup as the other.

Hi connor,
this is the message

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“87.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

I’ll reach out to my ISP as soon as I have some spare time.

In the meantime I’ll continue to use Qobuz when on the road

g

Hi @Gianluca_Finistauri,

Are you by chance on a business-grade network, or using a proxy service for remote work on any of the computers you use for Roon? UPnP doesn’t seem to be available at all, despite coming preinstalled on most consumer routers as an open-source software service.

We’ve taken a closer look at some of the diagnostics available to us for your account and also want to confirm that you’ve 1) turned off UPnP in any of the routers for which you can access settings and 2) once you’ve turned off UPnP, try a different number than 55002 in the port assignment in Settings → ARC and also in the router port forwarding rules.

This will test, once and for all, whether the port forwarding rules are reaching the outside world through the port you’ve safely opened.

No business grade. Did the test and still not working. I will contact my ISP and check how else to open doors.
Maybe they have to change my modem at all with a newer one… maybe it’s not possible.

g

Hi @Gianluca_Finistauri,

Who is your service provider? Users have pooled known CG-NAT providers and workarounds in ARC: Port Forwarding Resources - it’s worth searching there.

Hi called them. They suggest to change Modem/Router because mine is very old. I’ll do it this week and report back

Hi @Gianluca_Finistauri,

Thank you for the update. We’ll make sure this thread remains open until you have a chance to test with the new modem/router combination from the ISP.

I did change the modem-router.

New one is much more modern HUB+ ZTE H388X and provider is always TIM (Italy). They tell there is no problem with port forwarding…
I configured it as per following screeshot

…and still get error… (port in Roon is the same configured)

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“80.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“80.aaa.bbb.ccc”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Just for the sake of details… If I mismatch the ports (put a different port in modem config than in roon) the Roon ARC Test stops immediately. If I put the right port (matching) it takes few seconds before giving me the timeout error above… thought it could help

My server is on QNAP NAS T251A and works perfectly (8gb RAM)

g