Roon ARC data consumption

Yep its getting mixed up.I am referring to the local network Core to Streamer transfer which i believe is all RAAT nom matter what the source

I haven’t used ARC and probably wont but i would have assumed that ARC would also use RAAT as its an output of the core

Roon ARC does use RAAT to send music to its output. It’s just that your mobile doesn’t receive said music as RAAT. Hope that clears things up.

How does the phone receive it PCM ?

That depends on whether the music comes from a streaming service (Tidal, Qobuz), or from your Roon Core (local music). In addition, it also depends on the chosen quality setting.

This picture gives an overview:

But this thread is about ARC

Hi it is still unclear.

I got it that ARC the app either receive the file from core or from the streaming services in FLAC/OPUS/MP3 or whatever sound file (as if it’s downloaded I guess).

I am still not clear where the RAAT part comes in.

The phone directly plays the file right? And if there is a Dac connected to the lightning/usb port then it is just a OS USB audio kind of thing. And that is all ARC does? It doesn’t do any RAAT? Or is there actually a way to get ARC to stream to some Dac streamer in the local network?

However, I believe to have read somewhere that ARC does use RAAT internally/locally

That is what I am wondering.

Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT) <— It gets the audio from point A to point B without screwing it up,

What happens when you are all in point A… there is no point B in ARC it seems.

And a few lines further up in the KB article where your quote comes from:

It [RAAT] enables you to play your Roon music to:

• Roon Ready hardware devices

• Audio outputs, sound cards, and USB DACs connected to the Core.

• Audio outputs, sound cards, and USB DACs connected to any computer or device running Roon Bridge

• Audio outputs and USB DACs connected to Android devices running Roon Remote.

It’s a protocol. You are free to define what points A and B are, they don’t necessarily must be a Core and a traditional endpoint

Hi @Peter_Sabbagh,

I can confirm that Tidal and Qobuz streams are streamed directly to your device. ARC will use your core to authenticate your subscriptions but these messages are small in size and wouldn’t contribute to home internet data usage like streaming your file library would.

Thanks,
Wes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.