Roon Arc doesn't work with Swisscom Internet Box and 5G Internet Booster

Roon Core Machine

Roon Optimized Core Kit on Intel NUC7i3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All Ethernet, no VPN

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    Swisscom
  2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Swisscom Internet-Box 3
  3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    5G Internet Booster: Nokia FastMile 5G Receiver 5G14-B
  4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No

Connected Audio Devices

Some Roon Ready RPi’s with HifiBerry DAC+

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Hi, I live in the country and my internet is very slow over Phone landline connection. I use additionally a 5G Internet Booster (Nokia FastMile 5G Receiver 5G14-B) that is bridged with the Router to speed up the connection.

When I try to configure Roon Arc I have this error message (see at the end).

When I turn out the Nokia FastMile, Roon Arc configures well and I can reach it from outside but with very poor quality (500 Kbit/s Upload…)
So I guess the problem comes from the bridged Nokia.

I have also a XBox that uses port forwarding with the Nokia FastMileon bridged without problems.

Thank you very much for your help & advice!

{

“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},

“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“178.ddd.ggg.hhh”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},

“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},

“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“>\n<s:Body>\n<s:Fault>\ns:Client\nUPnPError\n\n<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">\n718\nConflictInMappingEntry\n\n\n</s:Fault>\n</s:Body>\n</s:Envelope>\n”}

}

Roon does not work with CGNAT networks, which are most cellular network, because you need a public IP address. That is why it works with the slow landline and not the Nokia. You might call and ask Nokia if they have an option for a public IP address. Others have gotten ARC to work using tailscale, that might be an option to try.

1 Like

Hi @Urs_Stirnimann,

The giveaway is in this line: ConflictInMappingEntry

The port you are attempting to use to route Roon from your Core to ARC on your phone is already mapped to another service; this is the result of other software or hardware on your network or, more likely, the result of your service provider’s carrier-grade network address translation. As @Rugby mentioned, you’ll need to inquire if Nokia can provide your 5G unit with a dedicated IP address.

Please see this thread from another Swisscom user with a 5G setup: ARC through SIM mobile receiver - #3 by Steve_Udriot1

The Roon team is working on long-term solutions that should enable ARC to work out-of-the-box for more users with CG-NAT from their service providers. In the meantime, please try contacting

1 Like

Hi @Rugby & @connor,

Thank you for the quick replies, I will investigate in this.
Best regards

Hi @Urs_Stirnimann,

Have you been able to successfully configure port forwarding? For our part, we continue to make progress on more adaptable autoconfiguration that will hopefully resolve your issue automatically in the future.

Hi, @connor,

I run Roon Arc now without the 5G Internet Booster. This setup works mostly, with short interruptions from time to time. I hope you guys find a setup with 5G booster in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @Urs_Stirnimann. We’ll reach out when we have a solution for IPv6 addresses like those common with 5G routers/boosters - you can follow our progress in the main tracking thread here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/routers-and-isps/203656

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.