Roon ARC for Apple Carplay [On Roadmap]

I guess it’s possible that Lance might have been thinking of copyright issues and forgot about the driving. Or he is from the US where regulation is very complex and depends on where you are:

I was expressing amusement at what I consider to be a rather ridiculous law. To consider a handheld device specifically more dangerous to operate than fiddling with the CarPlay display.

“The Hands-Free Georgia Act took effect on July 1, 2018. The act states that drivers cannot have a cell phone or similar technology in their hands while they drive . The following is a brief description of what the law states: A driver cannot have their cell phone in their hands or on any part of their body.”

I don’t find it ridiculous. At least in-car interfaces can be designed for the task, although I would agree that the prevalence of touch screens was a step back for this, compared do haptic controls. Nevertheless, people read text messages on phones and not on in-car displays. Phones can be dropped and people will pick them up from the floor.

It’s probably quite simple: Operating phones while driving is hugely dangerous and therefore forbidden. On the other hand, it’s simply not practical to forbid every in-car interaction.

2 Likes