Roon ARC “Poor Connection” issue with Carplay and iPhone 15 via tethering (ref#CUWVG7)

Roon Server Machine

MacMini 2023 M2 chip 8 GB ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Internet: Verizon Internet Gateway White Cube ARC-XC155AX
WiFi: ASUS wireless router RT-AC68U
Netgear GS105 switch

No VPN

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    Verizon

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Internet: Verizon Internet Gateway White Cube ARC-XC155AX
    WiFi: ASUS wireless router RT-AC68U

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    No

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No

Connected Audio Devices

Chord Mscaler connected y USB to MacMini/Roon server

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

RoonARC will not play. I see the albums, etc., but no music. Error “Poor Connection”.

{ “ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”}, “external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“75.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“192.168.1.151”}, “status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound , “natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}, “upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.2.1”,“found_upnp”:true} }

uPnP is on. Here is my wireless router configuration. I have no clue what the port range should be. Roon doesn’t provide one, and the router demands it.

@David_Zweig, it appears you have two networks running in your home, what I surmise is the Verizon-based network with IP address range 192.168.1.nnn and the ASUS-based network using IP address range 192.168.2.nnn. Roon requires all devices to be on the same subnet (the first three sets of address numbers being identical).

It appears that your Roon Server computer is connected to the ASUS-based subnet based on your screenshot above. Given the two networks, UPnP will not work and should be deactivated on both routers. Instead, you need to set up port forwarding in the following manner:

1. Forward Port 55000 using TCP from the Verizon router to the IP address of the ASUS router.

2. Modify your ASUS port forwarding rule to be similar to mine (I added a slightly larger port range in case ARC changes the port number). My version of the ASUS admin page does not quite match yours, but it should provide guidance.

Thank you! This is truly helpful Robert. I am not clear how to change the Gateway configuration with Verizon (they don’t make it available under “Settings” but I have a call in to them. I am attaching a schematic of my configuration, but I think you understood if perfectly. I’ll keep you posted when I hear back from my Verizon tech support guy.

We’re assuming that the switch does not need any alterations, yes?

He might be in Asia.

1 Like

Thank you so much Robert. I always have been a network ignoramus and cannot explain or break through it.

Verizon Address: 192.168.1.1

ASUS LAN 192.168.2.1

As I understand it, the subnet is drawn from the Host ID, or last number… in this case 1, already identical.

You mention they must be on the same subnet, so I am confused.

Are you saying that I have to make the third numbers in the IP address (2 and 1) identical?

I.e., 192.168.xxx.1 and 192.168.xxx.1 so that the xxx pieces are identical?

Thanks and apologies.

The Verizon subnet is different than the ASUS subnet. You need to look at the the first three sets of numbers (not the last number), if they are different then there are two networks running (two subnets). In this case, there are two subnets:

1. Verizon: 192.168.1.nnn
  2. ASUS: 192.168.2.nnn

Given the limitations of the Verizon router’s configuration and specifically creating a port forwarding rule, I am not sure what to recommend. It may be worth speaking to a Verizon support representative and ask about creating a port forwarding rule on their router.

ASUS does allow you to configure their AiMesh system into just a WiFi mesh network that would be on the same subnet as the Verizon router, but I am not sure if you lose other capabilities by doing so. I recommend speaking with Verizon first.

1 Like

Hi @David_Zweig,
Thank you for your patience while we worked through the queue. Were you able to resolve your issue?

No.

THank you for your response.

No, it still doesn’t work. I now see all the songs, art, etc. on RoonARC but I get “Poor Connection” error and no music. Useless.

It has been suggested that I align the hexadecimal addresses of my Gateway and my Router and turn off uPnP.

Verizon and Asus second-level tech support are useless. This has been going on a month. PLEASE HELP SOON. Thanks.

Here is a map.

@David_Zweig, under your Roon ARC Settings options in the Roon ARC application, if you select “Disconnect from ”, then restart the ARC app and reconnect to your Roon Server, does the Poor Connection error remain?

Hello @David_Zweig ,

It looks like your thread is about to close soon, are you still having this issue at the present time?

YES. It doesnt work. Never has.

How can you help?

Try putting Asus into access point / no DHCP server mode and let Verizon handle the IP assignment. Anything that is static configured to use an IP from Asus will need to be in DHCP more or you will otherwise need to manually switch over to the Verizon box.

Hey Robert - I was having a very similar problem with Roon ARC, and your suggestion seems to have solved it, so thanks for that!

1 Like