Roon ARC set-up problems (double router? - Port-forwarding? - other issues?)

Roon Core Machine

Roon Rock on Intel NUC Tiger Canyon NUC11TNHi7 (16GB RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

(0) Incoming signal from provider (Coaxial) > (1) Telenet-Router modem model CH8568LG. Wifi disabled. Connected downstream via ethernet > (2) Orbinet 750 series router > ( (3a) NUC Rock via ethernet cable & (3b) iFi Zen Stream receiving signal via Wifi from Orbit Netgear.

My ISP provider is Telenet in Belgium. The Telenet router can unfortunately not be omitted in the system as this possibility is not provided by Telenet. ISP provider also mentions their router/modem cannot be bridged. See screenshot further below for configuration options in Description of Issue for Telenet-Router modem model CH8568LG. I have understood that port forwarding option is something to be manually installed. My guess that my problem has something to do with it, but I am not an expert.

Connected Audio Devices

ISP Router > Orbit Netgear 750 (via ethernet) > ifi Zen Stream (via Wifi from Orbit Netgear 750 series)
Orbit Netgear 750 (via ethernet) > Intel NUC Tiger Canyon NUC11TNHi7

Number of Tracks in Library

Library is currently very small. Tidal only. Just starting with NUC ROCK but planning 15000 Tracks

Description of Issue

ROON ARC settings > message: NOT READY Roon ARC will not be able to acces your Roon Core
Diagnostics:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect EHOSTUNREACH 84.aaa.bbb.ccc:55002, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“84.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“10.0.0.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}
See screenshot Roon

Questions

Please help on making ARC set-up/connect to my system
(1) My NUC Rock has a very different IP address. Should I adopt the NUC Rock IP adress and put 10.00.00.xx

If yes, what are the inputs for the other remaining fields?
(2) Should the IP address from my NUC ROCK be entered in my ISP provider settings from the screenshot below
Screenshot ISP telenet modem/router

There are more fields in the ISP provider screen than in the Roon installation info (which internal and external ports should be filled in and what to do with the remaining fields?)
(3) Should the DMZ field be changed

Thx in advance for support on setting this up, Arie

Hi @Arie_Adriaensen,

So your setup is:
Telenet Router → Netgear Orbi router → Roon Core

You have two options:

1. Setting your Netgear Orbi to AP mode. If it is then all settings must be done in your Telenet router. Then try first only enabling uPnP.
  2. Setup port forwarding in both routers:
    In the Telenet router you set up a rule for the Roon Arc port (default 55000) to the WAN ip-address of you Netgear router. In your Netgear router you setup a port forwarding rule for the same port number to the ip-address of your core.

@Joost_Hoogland
I tried Option 1. Works like a charm. Your support is very much appreciated.
I am going to try Option 2 as well, because I loose a few options like netgear VPN when choosing option 1. Could you tell me what I should fill in to achieve what you describe on the Telenet router (see screenshot above).

• Does the 5500 have to be filled in 3 times? (Beginpoort - eindpoort - beginpoort?)
    -What about the local IP-address to be filled in? My Telenet router only allows me to fill in the part after 192.168.0 but the NUC IP does not correspond to the 192.168.0 format at all.

Thx, Arie

Hi @Arie_Adriaensen,
You could also use the DMZ option. If you enter here the ip-address the Netgear router has in the range of the Telenet router all traffic is forwarded to the Netgear router. You should be able to find a list in the Telenet router of connected devices that holds the ip-address of the Netgear in the 192.168.0.x range. (Probably the only entry in the list.) Enter that in the DMZ field.
But then it is very important that you keep the firewall active in the Netgear.

In the Netgear you enter the port forwarding rule for port 55000 to ip address of your Roon Core. You can find that on the Roon Arc tab in Settings. That would be in a different address range. E.g 192.168.n.x or 10.0.n.x. The third digit group (n) may differ.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.