Roon Arc still not using own drivers on FIIO

Running Arc on FIIO M11 Plus Qubuz streaming from ROCK server. ARC is set for original quality but still does not change the sample rate when the inbound stream rate changes. If play a 96k stream, ARC will down sample to 48k, which I believe is a side effect of the Android OS. If you want to listen to the track at 96k you have to close ARC, open FIIO Player or some other player that does not use the android drivers, and play a 96k audio track briefly, reopen ARC and now the track will play at 96k. The only problem now is if the next song is streaming in at 44.1k, you get the sample rate change pop when ARC starts the song because ARC now wants to upsample the 44.1k track to 96k because ARC cant change the FIIO sample rate, it is still locked at 96k. Does anyone have an idea why we are still dealing with this issue. I am paying a premium price for roon as well as Qobuz as my streaming service and I am not getting anywhere near a premium price experience with ARC.

Also as information, just so happens the latest release of the Qobuz player now operating with it own drivers apparently. If you stream directly with the Qobuz App on the FIIO M11 Plus, the displayed sample rate shown on the screen is what the FIIO M11 plus is set to, none of the switching back and forth like described above. Also no popping from the Qobuz app changing from track to track which are recorded at different sample rates. So this popping heard during track changes with ARC has nothing to do with the hardware. Having serious thoughts about dumping roon since they cant seem to get their product to work right.

1 Like

ARC has not and still does not support inbuilt DACs on Android so this is expected behaviour until it does it still thinks devices such as DAPs are the same as phones. It will lock on to what the OS reports the DACs native rate is and that’s what Roon will down or upsample to. This has been public knowledge for as long as ARC has been out and is the same for the Roon Remote App. It’s on their agenda to address this but when is anyone’s guess.

2 Likes