Roon ARC was unable to securely access… (MyRepublic (Singapore), Netgear Orbi RBK852)

Why is it so complicated to set this up?
Please let me know next steps. Thanks!

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Orbi, using VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

@Benjamin_Pitot, it would be really helpful if you shared details about your ISP, the modem / router model make and model, and describe your Roon core and home network. Thanks.

Thanks Martin, here’s what I know:

ISP: MyRepublic (Singapore), 2Gbps internet bandwidth

Router: Netgear Orbi RBK852

Roon Core: Nucleus

Home Network: Nucleus connects via router Ethernet port, other ports are used for AppleTV and Philips Hue Bridge

Router settings: Port forwarding and UPnP activated

Let me know if there’s anything else I can provide.

Thanks!

Benjamin

@Martin_Webster Do we have any updates? This is taking way too long, thanks!

Martin is a volunteer moderator not part of Roon.

Ok. I am just fed up, I’ve spent 3 hours today trying out several things on my router and nothing! I am seriously thinking of giving up everything and not renewing my membership unless someone in Roon Support can assist…

Roon continues to work I presume? As you can see there a lot of users with ARC issues…

Yeah no issues. I know many users are having issues with Roon ARC accessing Roon Core through their router configuration. Not everyone is fluent with port forwarding, there are so many options, it’s confusing and frankly I don’t want to know. All I need is a step-by-step process to make the connection, end of story!

I believe myrepublic doesn’t assign a public IP that you can use. You need to contact them and ask them to assign you one.

1 Like

I see I’ll talk to them tomorrow, cheers!

2 Likes

MyRepublic and ViewQuest by default don’t give you a public ip address. To my knowledge, StarHub still does. Not sure about SingTel. With ViewQuest, you can request / pay for a (public) static ip address.

You might want to reach out to your ISP to give you a public ip address. Doesn’t have to be a static ip address (which you will likely have to pay for), a dynamic one should work too (more chances of not needing to pay for it).

3 Likes

@noris

Hello Roon Technical Support. I’ve called Netgear Support and did exactly what they told me to make this work however Roon ARC is still unable to securely access my Roon Core.

Here’s some screenshots which shows the current settings changed on my Orbi Router! If anyone can assist, provide a step-by-step process of next steps, anything I may have missed then I am willing to pursue this, after all it’s been more than 3 days so yeah patience is a virtue right?

None of that matters if your ISP is not giving you a public ip address. What ip address is your router getting from your ISP? First 2 groups of digits is sufficient.

Hey thanks for your message.
Looks like they’re not sure why it’s not working… an engineer at Netgear is looking at this and I’ll be speaking to them tomorrow on how we can fix this.
I don’t have a fixed IP address but if this is absolutely necessary I need to request it from my ISP, there’s a one-time fee then it’s free afterwards.
I’ll share more updates tomorrow. Cheers!

To be clear, you don’t need a fixed (static) IP address, but you do need a public IP4 address that can be dynamically assigned.

Unless I somehow missed it, I’ll repeat that it would be really helpful if you post the first 2 groups of digits of your ip addess on the WAN interface of your router :slight_smile:

Will do when I reach home thanks!

Thanks I’ll check this with the engineer tomorrow.

You need not check with engineer, you can check your WAN/external IP from your router IP address , eg. 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254 etc. , then check at the main network menu for the external IP. Just provide the first 2 groups of digits as @Nepherte stated. Cheers

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am providing a few more screenshots, please let me know if there’s anything else we need to get this working, thanks!