Roon Arc with MESH network and Huawei 5g router

Hi folks,
I am trying withut success to get Arc working on a MESH network from Mercusys (AX3000) and a HUAWEI 5G H112-370 router. I have put the mesh network in access point mode which disables NAT. I think it is the same as bridge mode though not called that. I have enabled UPNP on the Huawei and set up port forwarding as recommended ( though the port Roon seems to want to use is 55002 rather than 55000). Disabling the firewall on the router temporarily does not help. Here is the error message.
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“85.aaa.ddd.eee”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Any thoughts ? Its driving me crazy trying to sort it out. Perhaps it doesn’t play nice with 5G routers ( though I am using a 4G signal ). Unfortunately I live in a rural location so don’t have a great deal of choice.

Cheers

Jim

@Jim_Farrell, who is your ISP/5G provider?

@Jim_Farrell Maybe you should have a look at this thread: Eero router and ARC - #3 by Arie_van_Boxel

Hi Robert

Im with Vodafone in the Uk.

Hi Arie. Thanks. Will do

Cheers

Jim

@Jim_Farrell, it appears from reading various posts online that Vodafone UK uses CG-NAT on their mobile network. Carrier Grade NAT is used to conserve IPv4 network addresses by sharing these among multiple users. Roon ARC cannot work properly when the ISP’s broadband network connection uses CG-NAT.

The only option may be to use Tailscale’s VPN service on your Roon Core and mobile device; while Roon does not typically support VPN connections using Roon, for ARC it is an option Roon recommends until ARC CG-NAT solutions can be developed.

Thanks, Robert.
I appreciate that. I had wondered if VPN might be a solution but had no idea if it would actually work. I will give it a shot. Is there anything I need to know about setting it up with Roon ?
Cheers
Jim

Success !

Thanks Robert. Tailscale worked perfectly, though I note I had to do the initial connection to Roon from the mobile device while on my home network. Once connected there was no problem when I went mobile. I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Jim

One more thing. So far it still requires my Mesh network to be in Access point mode, though it may be that is because that is the mode it was in when I first connected. I will try different configurations. Hopefully this thread can help other folks in a similar pickle.
Cheers
Jim

1 Like

Great to hear Jim. I don’t use Tailscale myself so don’t know the setup configuration needed to get it settled, but glad you have ARC working.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.