Roon ARC working without vpn enabled but not with ExpressVPN enabled..even with port forwarding (UK Virgin Media hub 3.0)

Roon Core Machine

iMac

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Router (UK)

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hi All,

I can connect to Roon ARC outside of my network no problem so long as my expressvpn software is not running. However when I enable it Roon ARC won’t connect. I have followed the instructions and:

1. set up a static IP address
  2. verified UPNP is enabled
  3. set port forwarding
    However in my case it didn’t make any difference.

{

“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},

“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“45.89.xxx.xxx”,“router_external_ip”:null},

“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},

“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}

}

I use ExpressVPN too. Experience same issue. I hope Roon team decides to support VPN usage.

Same issue. I run ExpressVPN-firmware on a Linksys 3200ACM. Roon runs on a Mac mini 2014 (SSD). I did the same rule. Works when VPN is off for the Mac mini. roon ARC doesn’t work when ExpressVPN is on. :((( Holy roon, please help!
Daniel

Never used expressvpn but some VPNs need split tunnelling to allow you to send traffic in bypass of the vpn tunnel to certain services.

2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion. :slight_smile: Thought about this. But it’s possible in the VPN app only. We use a router with a special ExpressVPN software as system. It’s some kind of ExpressVPN OS. :wink: And the settings are very limited. It’s only possible to enable or disable a device via MAC address.
(Sorry for my bad English).
Greetings!
Daniel (from Vienna/Austria/Europe - life time subscription)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate your help. That would have been a workaround. However when I looked into this expressvpn have removed this feature for Mac Big Sur users and above. Hopefully Roon can work their magic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.