Roon Backup Not Restoring

Setup

Old:

iMAC 27-inch, Late 2012, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 756 GB SS HD, mac OS Mojave Ver. 10.14.1

to

New:

Mac Mini (2018), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 6-core 8th-generation (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz), 8GB 2666MHz DDR4, 512 GB SS HD, mac OS Mojave Ver. 10.14.1

Music files on External HD Seagate USB3

Roon Backup directory copied from iMAC Macintosh HD to External HD and connected to Mac Mini

Unauthorized iMAC and Authorized Mac Mini

Installed Roon on Mac Mini with external HD connected to Mac Mini

When prompted in Roon to Restore from backup, directed to external HD RoonBackups folder, backup file was from 11/7/18, got error message:

“There was an error retrieving the backup listing (InvalidRoot). Please check the backup folder and try again.”

Do I need to relocated RoonBackups folder to internal HD of Mac Mini?

Is it too late to reauthorize iMac and perform a different backup, then transfer to Mac Mini?

I have thousands of tags that I worked for hard to organize and I hate losing them, in addition to the playlists and metadata.

No, you can reauthorise the iMac and perform another backup. I suggest you perform a manual backup and use the external HD.

Hello @Mahab_Khatib,

Can you please let me know what type of file-system format you are using on all of your drives? For the iMac and the Mac Mini, are the drives formatted as Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) or something else?

What format are you using on the external Seagate HD?

I would try to authorize the previous iMac and perform a manual backup as @Martin_Webster suggests. Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hello @Mahab_Khatib,

I wanted to check in here with you and see if you were able to create a fresh backup by re-authorizing your iMac. If you have not yet had a chance to do so or if something went wrong with creating a fresh backup, I may have an alternate solution as proposed by our QA team.

Can you please post a screenshot of the backup directory listing? This listing should look something like this:

Inside this listing there should be a _roon_backup_ file towards the end of the list, can you please let me know if this file is there in your backup and post a screnshot? If you can confirm that this file is missing, I can send you a replacement for that file since it is a standard file across all backups.

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris