Roon branded streamer?

Hope this is in the right category.

What would everyone’s thoughts be on a Roon manufactured/badged Endpoint/Streamer?

As they have done with Intel, on the Nucleus collaboration.

I reckon something that is £500/$650 would sell really well in most countries. May be wrong, but interesting to see what you guys think.

The varying amounts Roonies spend on Endpoints is pretty immense and this would sit in Node 2i territory, which I guess is the bottom of ‘mid-range’?

Possibly something transport only…

I doubt that it would make commercial sense for a whole lot of reasons. Notably, there are already many options available to the market at just about every price point, but also Roon has a certification programme for such devices.

Hi @Martin_Webster

I hear you & it’s a very valid, strong point - which I mostly agree with.

I guess the other side is to look at the Nucleus. How many people opt for it because it’s Roon branded? People like to buy the OEM variant in many cases.

Side tracking slightly, but take Apple’s MFi program for example. How many people still buy the easy, official option?

I think you might be over-estimating what that means. I don’t believe it’s at the depth of the Wintel collaboration, for example.

Witness the changes that needed to be made for Roon’s Ethernet connection under the G10 NUCs.

The Nucleus white paper is a little ambiguous about the Intel involvement .

I believe that this has been asked and Roon so far as I remember they said they are not interested. If you search the forums, you should be able to find the previous threads.

Well, without 'em having to go through the worry of fabbing, there might be a space for an enclosure that’d use Nucleus design language, could be made locally, and could be used to house a selection of the more popular SBC’s. Think “more visually appealing” Metrum-or-Allo or whatever.

Given that there are those manufacturers already, I am surprised none of them have gone this route already. All the current cases are pretty bland and featureless.

1 Like

They’re also extraordinarily cheap. It’d likely take a bit of consumer education to get customers to understand a tiering where you have a $100 SBC, $105 SBC + ugly case, $350 SBC + nice case, and $1500 retail option, all with the same guts, so I can see where it’d make sense to focus on either side of the spectrum, and not bother about the middle.

The Stack Audio Link II seems like it might be a good Roon endpoint, at least if you have a USB DAC.