Roon Bridge connected, but audio card showing device not found

I have deployed roon bridge (in a container) and in the “About” section it shows as connected:

However, when I navigate to the “Audio” menu, under the roon section, I get the below Device Not Found error - even though it clearly has found it because it has the name…

Additionally, if I restart the container it seems to work and then shows up as follows:

All looks good…but then when I try to play a track it gives me the following error message:

Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 04.31.13

Any idea what would cause this kind of behaviour?

Not sure why you want to run it in a container, but that could be the issue: no permissions.
So it is being detected, but writing data to it is not allowed.

This is a guess of course :wink:

The reason for running in a container is to use it with balenaSound - so I can manage the end nodes remotely and have them do other stuff than music when they are idle…this necessitates containerised usage.

However, it isn’t a permissions error as I get no permissions issues, it is running as root, and can access the soundcard directly from the container in an SSH tunnel.

A bit more detail - it seems like the device is locked by another service, although I am not entirely sure why - as nothing else is using it. But at least I am making progress…

More progress:

root@2ec9b5a:/opt/RoonBridge# speaker-test -c2 -t wav

speaker-test 1.1.8

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 96 to 1048576
Period size range from 32 to 349526
Using max buffer size 1048576
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 262144
was set buffer_size = 1048576
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right

But RoonBridge still seems to fail with Failed to open the audio device - so must be something in the alsa / pulse config I guess

Weirdly it is now working with the Pi onboard audio, but on the audio card it still says device not found…