Roon Bridge for ARM: a beginner’s guide to Raspberry Pi and Cubox-i

Heads-up for Cubox users . . . DO NOT perform this step
Now, you’ll want to make sure your OS is up-to-date by issuing the following command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

If you do this - you will loose the ability to playback anything over 96Khz through the optical output (spdif).

Appreciate that since this article was written, something has been added to the repository that breaks the HD Audio capability.

Are you using the Legacy (3.14.79 kernel) or Mainline (4.9.x) distribution?

I’m running Legacy fully updated with no problems up to 192kHz (older kernels did have issues with 88.2/176.4):

Mainline has never been fully baked for audio.

Problems with the Hifiberry dac +

Thanks you to everyone who’s contributed to ths thread. its proved a lifesaver as I try and understand the world of roon and pi.

Having successfully installed roon on a new pi and hooked it up to my USB dac I thought i’d have a go with a hifiberry DaC + light, just for fun. But I can’t get the pi to recognise it. Oddly inserting the dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus doesn’t make any difference. Upon reboot its simply removed from the config.txt file, I’m assuming because the pi can’t find it. I’ve physically reseated it a couple of times and tried various builds of the OS, including the one from hifiberry and dietpi.

Its not the end of the world if its the board itself. it only cost me £18 and I’ve allo bass on order, but it slightly annoys me I can’t get it working when everything else has been a breeze

cheers

Thanks for publishing this guide Rene but I cant seem to find any legacy server downloads for Cubox on the Ambian site. “Legacy” appears under the picture of the Cubox but none of those buttons work. I can’t find anything referencing Jessie Legacy Server under “Other Download Options and Archive” either.

I’ve downloaded various Armbian_x.xx_Cubox-i_Debian_jessie_x.x.x.7z files but none contain a RAW file when I extract them using Keka on a MAC.

I’m not familiar with Linux so wondering if I’m being dim here. Any help locating the correct OS would be most welcome.

Thx

OK, well I figured it out and installed Armbian_5.20_Cubox-i_Debian_jessie_4.7.3 using DD then installed Roon Bridge using easy install. The Cubox appeared in Roon Server which I enabled however when I restarted the Cubox, it no longer appears in Roon server.

I re-installed everything and enabled it then same problem when restarting the Cubox. I’m assuming Roon Bridge isn’t starting up automatically like its supposed to. Any ideas appreciated.

@DNM: That would be the mainline/vanilla kernel – audio is not fully baked in that version. Armbian has moved things around a bit since writing the guide, but you’ll need Debian_jessie_default.7z these days, which will expand to Armbian 5.25 with kernel 3.14.79.

I believe they switched from .raw to .img as well – you can flash both formats easily using Etcher, available for free for Win/Mac/Linux.

Let me know how you get on!

Thx for the quick reply Rene. Unfortunately I’ve just tried with Debian_jessie_default.7z and having the same problem. If it helps, this is the IMG file extracted: Armbian_5.25_Cubox-i_Debian_jessie_default_3.14.79.img.

Hmmm… Weird. What does

systemctl status roonbridge

say?

I assume I type this in using Terminal however whenever I connect to the Cubox, I get this message and can’t get to the route:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.25 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 3.14.79-cubox
System load: 0.86 Up time: 23 sec
Memory usage: 18 % of 1001Mb IP: 192.168.1.13
CPU temp: 26°C
Usage of /: 15% of 7.0G

Thank you for choosing Armbian! Support: www.armbian.com

Creating a new user account. Press to abort

Please provide a username (eg. your forename):

OK, figured how to abort that if I was quick enough!

Typed your command and got:

roonbridge.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

Then re-installed Roon Bridge again and it works fine when re-starting the Cubox! I’ll keep an eye it but thx very much for your help.

Ah… You’ll need to complete Armbian setup first by creating a user. Just enter a username of choice and press enter. You’ll need to create a password next. For all other options, just press enter.

When do you think the new updated directions will be completed? It’s a little daunting for sure.

How are you connecting between the Pi and DAC, USB or SPDIF? I have a Pi 2 and Hi Fi Berry Digi feeding my Benchmark DAC via coax SPDIF and never have problems. But I don’t do anything beyond PCM 192 so far. I’ve read USB from the Pi is limited, as another poster said, the port is shared with other services.

The beginner’s guide states if you already have a USB DAC you can use it instead of using a HAT type DAC.

In my media room, I just replaced my Meridian Director USB DAC with a Mytek Brooklyn. The source or “Roon Core” is a Windows 10 PC.

(The Meridian Director is capable of PCM up to 24 bit 192Khz. It does not do DSD)

I do have Tidal Hi-Fi.

Both media room and living room are served by an Ethernet network.

I want to create a Roon endpoint in my living room.

Can I:
• Purchase and configure a Raspberry Pi3
• Connect my Meridian Director via USB to the Raspberry Pi3 using no “HAT” whatsoever
• Connect the RCA stereo outputs of the Meridian to an input on my old Marantz receiver and expect to hear high quality up to 192K Roon networked music in my living room

By enabling the appropriate (Meridian) System Output within Roon settings, can I then control the living room endpoint with an iPhone, iPad or notebook PC as I can now in my Media room?

Am I correct in assuming Raspberry Pi will connect to the Meridian without the need to use special USB drivers as I had to do with my Windows PC?

Can I also assume having two DAC’s, Mytek and Meridian (one at the head, one as an endpoint) will not create a conflict at the core? In other words I will not have to select Meridian as the default output device of the core to get music in the living room and vice versa in the media room?

Finally, I know given the proper settings in Tidal, even a non MQA capable DAC will play Tidal Hi-Fi tracks unfolded to 24/96. Will this still be the case when streamed through a Roon Bridge to a Raspberry Pi / Meridian endpoint?

If so, I’m ready to order a Pi 3. If not I will consider which type of HAT, S/PDIF or DAC to analog out would be a better fit for me.

Pretty sure I will make a mess of my initial configuration but it will be fun learning.

Tidal will not allow you to stream to a remote end point. Your DAC has to be connected to the PC that hosts Tidal. If you use Roon you will be able to stream to a remote point but at present it will be unfolded. It is intended that Roon will eventually be able to do some unfolding in Roon.

Are you saying Tidal songs will not stream through a Roon Bridge from a core containing both Roon and Tidal to another DAC at a Roon endpoint?
What’s the point of setting up a Roon Bridge?
I’ll just continue to stream my own content via JRiver to my Oppo if that’s the case.

No, Roon has to be running. You described using Tidal for partial decode of MQA files above. If you do that Tidal on its own will not see bridge devices only USB DACs.

A somewhat plug-n-play for this use would be so awesome. Put it in the store and tack on some money. I’d be all for that!

Thanks Henry, I believe I understand now.
My plan is to go ahead and order up a Pi 3 and see if I an get it to work with the old Meridian DAC. If I’m unsuccessful, I’ll just order a HAT to go with the new Pi.
I can wait for Roon to implement the unfolding step that exists in Tidal now.
Thanks again!

Will I need to download and install a Roon Bridge for my Raspberry Pi 3 to work as an endpoint?
If so, does the Roon Bridge software need to be loaded on the Core PC or can it be loaded on any Roon connected PC (acting as a remote) on the same network?
Or does it need to be somehow installed on the Raspberry Pi3 device?
(Amazon says the Pi 3 and Hi-Fi Berry HAT will be here Friday. Kind of excited…)

Thanks,