Roon Bridge possible on 2007 Intel Mac Mini?

I have an old Mac Mini that might find more life as a Roon Bridge. The OS has been upgraded as far as it can (10.6.8, I think?), but Bridge requires 10.9 or later. Is there a workaround for this? Thanks!

I’m currently using an Airport Express and an external DAC. The goal with this would be to be able to user higher resolution files than the Airport allows.

Is it possible to “force” an install of Roon Bridge on the older OS?

Install Windows on it then? (or Linux if you don’t mind)
But a Raspberry Pi will perform just as well as a ethernet2USB bridge for a handful of dollars. Ropieee?

The Raspberry might be the way to go. Cheap enough to play with.

I do need to keep Mac OS on the Mac Mini for other purposes and don’t really want to partition it.

1 Like

Hmm, not sure about that, but if you say so.

Is it just RoonBridge that has that restriction?

If so, then load the complete Roon on your Mini, that will act as a bridge.

I just tried installing Roon and Roon Server. Neither of these will install, either. They give the same, “You can’t use this version of the application with this version of Mac OS X. You have Mac OS X 10.6.8. The application requires Mac OS X 10.9 or later.”

I managed somehow to install ROCK on a MacMini but it was 2012 I think - it needed an external network USB dongle and will only boot with a manual selection of the OS via screen/kbd but once its up it was fine.

I doubt windows would install these days tho. maybe Linux might be an option.

Bridge should be fine tho under whatever OS it will run on. Even DietPi has a X86 option that might work.

It looks like a Pi is the solution if Roon Bridge cannot be loaded.

1 Like

A Pi is really your best bet and a lot greener too, I have lots of older <=2010 mini’s and dont use them at all with RPi by far the best option with Ropieee…I have more than 10 :wink: