Roon Bridge w Volumio on RPi - won't update

One of my Roon endpoints is a Raspberry Pi 3b with Volumio 3.251 and an Allo DigiOne card to provide SPDIF output. This has Roon Bridge, reported by Volumio as version 1.0.0 but as 1.8 (918) by Roon.

Roon reports there’s an update available for this device, but installation fails with the message, “There was an error checking for an update.”

Nor can I uninstall the plugin using the Volumio Web UI. That fails with a message, “An error occurred while uninstalling the plugin: Error: EACCES: permission denied, rmdir ‘/data/plugins/music_service/RoonBridge/RoonBridge/.previous/Bridge’”

Is there away to restore the ability in install updates?

May be more effective to ask this on Volumio’s forums, I guess…

1 Like

I solved this. It was stupid.

I reflashed the Pi’s SD card with a fresh copy of Volumio. While checking the IP address, I noticed a spike in what my router’s “AI-Protection” called malicious site attempts. All the while, the router silently had been blocking the Pi’s access to download.roonlabs.net. So I whitelisted that. Now, everything is up to date. (I also turned on email notification.)

I swear, this year has been Technology’s Revenge. All my devices are ganging up against me.

1 Like

I’ve just been equally stupid, having spent a couple of days trying to update Roon Bridge on an RPi4. Turns out my Deco M9 was blocking the download. Thanks for the pointer.

Glad my experience helped someone else.

BTW, I don’t think either you or I was stupid. It’s the outcome that’s stupid, a needed update getting blocked. First, the world develops an open Internet. Then, we get hackers & viruses. So we need another layer of software to block things, a layer that may or may not notify the user by default when blocking occurs. What a mess!

1 Like