Roon catering to Dinosaurs?

I really wonder where Roon will be heading in the not so distant future. Collecting / hoarding of music is a thing of the past. Probably most here grew up collecting LPs, then CDs and maybe later bought stuff on iTunes or from other Sites. It used to be a wonderful thing going to stores in other cities or even countries and finally finding that recording, that you were searchg for such a long time. Those days are gone.
I guess many here are from that transit stage with collections ripped to their own server, but I guess we are a dying breed. All (younger) people I know have no mediums anymore, also not collecting music in digital form - everything is readily available in Spotify - which is what most use.
The idea of buying music seem absurd for most. So Roon is catering to a shrinking market, lets face it none of us will live forever. So obviously including Streaming services will become even more important, but the question arises, if you only stream music, why would you need Roon? Especially with a service like Qobuz which nearly looks like Roon anyway, why the extra expense?
All in all I am happy they are around to look after us Yesterdaymen (ok maybe there are a few women also)
What are your thoughts about this? Just yesterday I was talking to a friend about how crazy it is, that you cannot buy music in stores anymore and the tragic death of Tower Records in NYC, which was always my first stop when I got to the states. Ah well…

6 Likes

I think Roon wants to cater to Audiophiles…ie those who listen to lossless music. These people just so happen to be older. Proof of this is Roons disinterest in anything lossy or MP3 which most all of the younger generation listen too. Roon does have Tidal and is about to have Qobuz so streaming content is available

1 Like

Roon is a music player for music lovers. And I don’t think our generation has exclusive rights over enjoying music. My experience of young people is they enjoy music just as much as my generation: they see live performances, subscribe to streaming services, and collect music … just not how we used to do it.

And it seems to me that Roon supports music enthusiasts of all generations by fuelling our passion to discover new music. Having a physical music library is not a prerequisite to running Roon. Indeed, there are many on this forum who have more TIDAL releases in their collection than any other format.

As I wrote elsewhere: Then came Roon+TIDAL and now I have the biggest [music] library imaginable in my study!

3 Likes

Well. it’s a going to be a new year. Time to stop beating all the dead horses from the last year.

13 Likes

Five years is a long time in the world of technology. Enjoy your dinosaur time. You just never know, between improvements, and/or the next technological development that even better things may come out.

In the meantime, enjoy the music —no matter how you receive it.

EDIT: No offense taken whatsoever. :smiley:

What exactly makes you say that ? All the common lossy formats are supported, and one of the recent release tentpole features was support for MQA, which is lossy.

2 Likes

I think if this is how your see Roon, then you are probably not a Roon user, or maybe early trial or just using it in it most basic way - installed on a laptop perhaps with a dac plugged in?

That’s fine, but Roon provides a lot more than that. For some of us one of its biggest things is it provides a really good whole home streaming and NAS playback system with a lot more flexibility than anything else out there.

Also streaming service providers have a tendency to remove content for whatever reason - sometimes the only way you can sure to have access to something your really like is to buy it on flac/cd etc and stick it on your NAS.

I don’t really see it as catering to dinosaurs at all. If anything it seems to be the complete opposite - forward thinking in many ways and free of the various closed multi-zone systems with their often horrible UIs and limited device support for their controller applications and sometimes lacking in any really high quality playback options.

10 Likes

Catering to the Audiosaurus.

8 Likes

Seems to me like a few are taking offende, thinking I meant our age. I meant Dinosaurs as in a dying breed and not the age of users.
I have been using Squeebox since it was acquired by Logitech, so have been in the homestreaming game for a long time. I am all for using my own collected music.

Audiosaurus Rocks, if you please! :wink:

2 Likes

Music discovery, depth of information and robust streaming protocol (RAAT).
Roon wins on those scores imho.
Also, owned music libraries are not going to disappear any time soon. Case in point - I had an album in my library from Tidal. One of my favourites. Went to play it - it’s disappeared from Tidal. Gone. Someone else made the deicsion that I couldn’t listen to it anymore. I hate that.

8 Likes

I don’t think you received these replies because offence was taken about age or this is a forum of dinosaurs. Rather, your argument doesn’t stand up. If you think Roon is another home streaming solution akin to Logitech Media Server/ Squeezebox you’re missing the point.

BTW, I was an early adopter of Squeezebox and wrote the original guide to install SlimServer on a Buffalo LinkStation. That was a decade or so ago. It was innovative at the time but never really moved on … Roon is innovating too and is doing something very different today.

6 Likes

And that is why I turned up here and am using Roon at the moment

One huge advantage of Roon for me — and I know I am in the minority — is that the company fixed the faulty streaming of my Devialet 200. I now tap the Roon icon, which starts my device, selects the correct input and allows me to control the volume, all within the Roon app. Add to this the flexibility to access my stored files and stream from Tidal — all in lossless. I’ve discovered more new artists and albums since adopting Roon than I ever did by visiting music shops.

7 Likes

That’s it in a nutshell.

6 Likes

I love the ability to just nip into Tidal for a record,

Could I conceive of no library , probably not, I’ve collected all my life , not just music, I still have that niggle about streaming service longevity

While it lasts use it , it’s another string to the bow

Where Roon wins is in making it so simple and available, long may it continue. Services like Idagio look great until you try you play them through conventional hifi, all I could manage was through my iPad, Dragonfly etc

if a mobile device and phones is you stick with it, I do both mobile and chair based , my choice. I can see the attractions of mobile . If it were available in its current format when I was 21 I may think differently but for now a Dinosaur

1 Like

This. Very nice integration!

Exactly.

1 Like

Exact same experience :slight_smile: I like the idea that the whole family includind the young kids can use the app and play any music anywhere in the house, even on dad’s high end hifi setup, all from the device of their choice.

4 Likes

ROON is what you choose it to be, each user has his very own take, background, need, equipment and age.
Each to their own.
Stop trying to force opinions on others.
Suggestions, hints, tips etc are all welcome, one sided personal diatribes maybe not so much.
Enjoy the music.

2 Likes

I think to OP is getting an unnecessarily hard time here. I don’t see his post as a diatribe, more a musing on the changes happening in music sale, distribution and replay. I often refer to myself as a dinosaur!

What I think Roon will offer to the younger streaming generation is the ability to have a streaming library as the impetus to collect is a strong human one. And just as Roon is great at organising some of our Jurassic collections it will do the same for ethereal collections.

I am quite surprised how quickly I have moved from Tidal as a sampler to Tidal as provider. I still buy quite a few CDs but mainly box sets and compilations which generally don’t make it to Tidal or there are restrictions on many of the tracks.

.sjb

13 Likes