Roon catering to Dinosaurs?

Ermmmm

• Your Roon password . Your password is stored in an encrypted form on your computer or Roon Core appliance as well as on our servers. It is used to authenticate you when you use Roon software, so we can be sure that people using the service are real members and not baddies. We can’t decrypt your password, so if you forget it, you’ll have to reset it by using the Roon or Roon Remote app. Passwords are reset by sending an email to your email address for verification.

• Your credit card information . Roon isn’t free, and for now we only accept payment by credit card. This information (which includes cardholder name, card number, expiration date, and CVV code) is transmitted directly to our payment processor (Stripe) using secure socket layer (SSL) technology. We keep a record of cardholder name, expiration date, and the last four digits of the card number so we can display that information to you on your account page. Your credit card number is not stored anywhere on our systems.

4 Likes

When it comes to mastering and mixing, let’s recall the loudness wars and this web site for discovering how to avoid harshly recorded/mixed material.

Plus, there are people out there who can master and mix in 16/44 without restoring to shaman trickery. Witness this article. I have purchased all three CDs by producer Tony Minassian. They are, without a doubt, the best-sounding CDs that I have ever heard, even when comparing them to other high-rez formats. Just sayin’…

Happy listening!

If you are a lifer, Roon will remove your credit card info.

At least, they indicated they would when I asked them to remove mine. I believe they have.

For many people using Roon, I believe sound quality may be the important issue. Only Tidal has a decent quality streaming solutions (at least in Australia). Not everybody has an internet connection that will allow streaming of music, video and browsing at the same time (unfortunately Australia again).

I use Tidal a lot to both listen to music in CD quality, but also when I am in a record store looking to buy vinyl to check out different music I haven’t heard before.

Like many innovations, new technologies do also live side by side with what exists for some time.

As discussed in this thread there is no option through Roon to remove lifer credit card info:

Another positive privacy development Roon could embrace around payments is accepting cryptocurrency.

There is none of my credit card info on file in the Account->Your Roon Account.
Is that the setting you’re referring to?

For me there under account payment information it has my full name, last 4 digits of cc number and cc expiration date. I’m a lifer.

Again, I’m trying to tell people that Roon will remove that.

Ok. So you’re saying we need to put in a special request before they do?

p.s. I don’t really care as my partially redacted cc info is on so many sites it really doesn’t matter.

1 Like

In reply to the first posting:
Exactly. I have ripped a bunch of CD’s already with at least another 200 to go. I am beginning to think it’s a thankless exercise. Granted it’s something to do from 10 - 11 PM,… that and laundry.

There’s already quite a few streamers in the marketplace with more to come. Is an overlay product merging a number of services enough? Granted Roon has meta data (though we could discuss the questionable quality of the reviews). Is having Qobuz and Tidal integrated into one product enough? How many people do you think will subscribe to both? I won’t know until I get a chance to play with Qobuz for a few months.

Perhaps the Roon Team has something in the works that is going to blow us away. If not something earth shattering than I’d like to see interfaces for Roku, Android TV, AppleTV, and Amazon Fire. The more people that have access to it the better.

My wife is a great example of someone who would like to use it from the same interface and remote we use to select Roon as a source and control system volume. To her it’s no different than selecting Netflix on the Roku. Why does she need to with the remote: 1. Power up the system, select Roon (as a source) 2. Pickup her device of choice, launch Roon, etc… We use a Control4 system but you can easily see how an Android TV user would have a much better experience with one interface. Granted this scenario is for someone with a central system in their residence. In my office the PC interface is all I need.

Either this is going to be the be all, end all, digital audiophile ecosystem of choice or it needs to go mainstream. Porsche or VW, pick one.

Also, Cloud Roon anyone? With 5G, it will be more than possible. Everything at the consumer end would be an endpoint. No local server required.

1 Like

Tidal and Qobuz have definitely caught onto what Roon is doing as their user experience is much better now.

You get much better recommendations (especially with the new My Mix) in Tidal, and artist info is vastly improved.

I very often find myself just using Tidal’s own apps more and more as they do pretty much all I need.

Plus, the biggie with their own app’s is access anywhere, anytime.

1 Like

I’m the same. I love to rip a CD or get a download and then tag it in my standard format in MP3Tag, muck about with the artwork in Photoshop to square it up, colour-optimise it and set it to 600 pixels square. Seeing all that then show up in Roon just pleases me no end.

2 Likes

What part of " Your credit card number is not stored anywhere on our systems." do people not understand?

The full CC number is not stored. However, a persons full name, last 4 digits of card, and card expiration date are stored on Roon’s system. One can see this displayed if they login to his/her roon account.

(to be clear, this doesn’t bother me at all, but I think this is also what some people are talking about.)

Neither is the CVV code. So, it is fact that no credit card number is stored by Roon; they use a payment provider to process payments.

If anyone wants this partial data removed, follow advice from @xxx and contact Roon.