Roon changed my life!

And despite what many people might tell you, running Roon on a Synology NAS is maybe the single best way to go!

2 Likes

I made the mistake of trying the two week demo 6 years ago. After a week, I signed up. First of this year I bought the lifetime subscription. In 6+ years of use I have never had any problem rise above a mild annoyance. Most people with big problems are doing weird stuff with huge libraries, running complicated systems that are beyond their ability to troubleshoot.

8 Likes

After 2 months annual I committed lifetime. 10 hours or less every week. I am working so much, not have time, but every time I open Roon app, I am smiling. Roon worth every penny.

6 Likes

Sebastian,

Couldn’t agree more. I was skeptical about Roon at first. Thought the interface was a bit kludgy but, as we’ve discovered, its a rich environment and just works well on so many levels. The ARC app is fantastic too. I offloaded most of the music on my mobile devices and use ARC to stream from my Synology NAS at home.

I’m hooked and had no hesitation paying for the lifetime subscription.

The app remote app gets better and better, the meta data is awesome and the algorithm that continues when your primary play ends is brilliant.

Well done Roon and welcome to the community Sebastian

3 Likes

I too had been wondering about Roon for quite a while - and thought it was “just another library organizer” - I was amazed and very pleased when I set it up on a MacMini and it promptly looked around and found all the hardware and all the music with zero fuss and hooked up to Qobuz. It really adds a whole new dimension to music enjoyment (the meta data), just from that stance alone. And it is fast!
The custom equalization of L and R speakers using REW to see what was going one was the icing on the cake. Very pleased indeed.
The 14 day try it and see shows that they are pretty confident of having a good product.

4 Likes

I’m finally back!
Thanks again for the welcome’s and fun to hear your stories.
I wish we could afford a lifetime subscription but that will be in the future, we are moving after we save up enough money, a lifetime sub costs almost 3 of our current rents.
Thanks for the awesome tips guy’s! Very helpful that we got to know them early, because we encountered our first issue :sweat_smile: Nothing major, the NAS’s ram ran out (4gb installed), a restart got the music rolling again, for now.
I’m looking forward to building our own core (and the other stuff), will need one because I just have part of my collection read in and it’s already overloaded, my girlfriend unfortunately just have to wait with her collection :joy: But, having everything in the NAS is very handy! In our life we need to use it as our “digital safe” like we intended, expensive drives in mirror raid + a big but not so important movie drive.
We have taken pictures and collected music our whole lives, it’s irreplaceable<3

I’m jumping in to the other threads now, starting with artists and song recommendations, looks fun!
Thank you everyone! Couldn’t wish for a better welcome party :partying_face:
Feel free to contact me. See ya all out there!

6 Likes

Hello Sebastian, welcome to the forum. Please do make backups of your data and store these on other locations. RAID is very handy indeed, but it is not as safe as a backup.
For example, watch this thread:

But I don’t want to spoil the mood here, so please back to your topic… Roon is great :grinning:

2 Likes

Roon recommends your Core to have at least 8 gb of RAM. As Roon is very RAM hungry. Especially once your collection starts growing.

I have my music backed up on both a 2nd hard drive at home. And also stored in the cloud. So should the hard drive in my Core Mac Mini decide to call it quits, then at least I have 2 backups.

1 Like

I will definitely check it out right away, thank you for sharing Arlen!

It looks like we are getting at least one cloud service for our pictures. If the local music goes, it goes, I rarely use it anymore since I got Qobuz, but will ofc miss it if it disappears. I should know better, I repair hardware in my free time, especially PC’s. Weird stuff do happen to people’s motherboards quite often. I felt safe having a UPS but, what if… :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Sebastian,

If the data on your NAS is irreplaceable, don’t forget to maintain a backup copy of the NAS’ data offsite. If there is a fire, flood or other disaster in your home, the NAS could be destroyed and/or impossible to retrieve. Backing up your NAS to the cloud or to an external drive and moving that to an secondary location is also important.

As I always say, there are two types of people: those who backup their data and those who wish they had. :wink:

3 Likes

Whenever one of friends buys some type of music streaming product (receiver or speaker) I give them a few months of struggling with the product’s native streaming app (all the native apps are terrible) and then, once they’re ready, I tell them about Roon. Most of them never look back.

I’m one of those Roon users with a massive music library. I reboot all my computer and network equipment on a regular basis and that keeps Roon running smoothly. A very small price to pay for such a great product and listening experience.

Absolutely brilliant!

I’ve been streaming music since 2006 and one of the wonderful things about streaming, especially when using Roon, is the ability to have multiple audio setups throughout one’s living space and each of these setups has access to one’s entire digital music library.

7 Likes

Good to read you like Roon. You described my experience also and running Roon also on a Synology DS920+.

I always have difficulties explaining the benefits of Roon to my friends (basically due to the cost involve with it). For me Roon has many small ‘improvement of life features’, like volume support for my receiver (with extensions), display support (such a cool feature to show album covers), profiles and easy swiching between roon endpoints.

Anyways… roon is great flexible software but takes a while to fully understand the potentials.

Enjoy your music with Roon.

5 Likes

I am now 100% convinced, we need a backup of everything in the NAS asap. Cloud is our only option for now, but what will 17TB cloud storage cost? :grimacing: Maybe only our pictures in the cloud.
I’m gonna talk with my best friend and convince him to get a NAS too, then we can have drives at each other’s homes with backups for each other, and why not share a movie library too. We live in different cities.

We appreciate the heads-up, it was foolish of me to feel safe with only one raid storage and UPS. :person_facepalming:
I don’t wanna be that one who wished I had a backup of my data.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to convince people to have a look at Roon at least. I don’t think too many use it in my area (north Sweden), never heard anyone even mentioning it irl. Almost everyone I know use Spotify and don’t know anything else…

https://media.tenor.com/oSf8C3h44bkAAAAM/milhouse-simpsons.gif

1 Like

You’re not going to win them over. My father is the only one in my circle of family and friends who has a great quality setup. But as he doesn’t use streaming or keep a local collection of music he has no need for Roon.

The rest are more than happy with Spotify and their soundbars, Bluetooth speakers and earbuds.

3 Likes

So true! The modern audiophiles are a small portion of the population I guess :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’m using iDrive e2, which is an S3 compatible storage that can be used directly from Synology HyperBackup. Although they have competitive pricing, it’s still quite a substantial amount.

They also offer an iDrive Personal, which is substantially cheaper. Although you cannot use HyperBackup, there is an iDrive application for Synology. However I don’t have experience with this offering.

You may also need to taje the upload facto into consideration. Not only in terms of time needed to upload 17TB, but also in terms of volume as some ISP’s put a cap on uploads. I’ve seen contracts that would greatly reduce you speed when exceeding the limit.

1 Like

Thank you @SvenM, I will look it up, sounds nice to have it in Synology’s OS. We are going to sort our data and decide what is important and not, keep the size and price down. Very helpful :blush::+1:

Get a bare hard drive dock and however many HDD’s you need (could be one to ?depending on their size(s)), and make a ‘vault’ copy onto those and either store offsite or somewhere safely onsite. Repeat if need be. HDD’s are relatively cheap these days up to 16gb, so no reason not to have more than one physical backup. Cloud is fine for incremental backups of the most important stuff, but a real pain for large chunks of data.

2 Likes