Roon changed my life!

I should, don’t need to have all drives WD red :blush: I have a two way dock that can mirror a drive, is it possible to do that with Synology’s file systems? Didn’t know that :thinking:

I think I had the trail 3 times before going with it. First time it was windows only so never was going for it. I used it with Squeezebox Touch, Radio and PiCore player to start with as Roon Bridge wasn’t out. It has its fair share of issues but still leagues ahead of anything else overall.

1 Like

Not sure about your question (if aimed at me). I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my drives. I generally use my 920+ for backup purposes only or to access files away from home. For my purposes as a photographer I find using a DAM to be much faster than a NAS. But when it comes to copying files I don’t think there’s anything special about the Synology, esp if using smb share.

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstood you. I was talking about making copies of my drives from the NAS in a 2-slot dock one by one (the dock can mirror the second slot drive), and just store the copies elsewhere for emergency fallback. I’m not too read-in on all this, recently got my ds920 and Synology’s OS is confusing to me.
We take lot’s of pictures, no photographer like you but as a fun side-hobby. What is a DAM? Tried googling but only found dam’s and girls (Dam = woman in Swedish) :laughing:

Digital Asset Management (DAM)

1 Like

@Sebastian_Harila I had a similar revelation to you, and a similar introductory thread!

I did do the lifetime, I realize that’s not an option for you for the time being. I justified it as the cost of that + the NUC I’m running as my core was a small fraction of the cost of the streamers I was looking at. I consider the subscription + hardware as a single component.

Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re building your own ROCK Core, and that’s excellent! If you’re comfortable with computers and BIOS settings, you can save a TON of money because Roon OS will run just fine on a 6-year-old PC with a Core I5 processor, 8GB RAM, and an SSD. I bought a used one for a pittance and it’s been running great. Most of the guides you find will insist on the importance of finding an Intel PC that supports Legacy boot in the BIOS. Last year, Roon OS started supporting UEFI boot, which is the standard for any new hardware, so you have more options.

After that, why stop tinkering? Build another endpoint on a Raspberry Pi or some other Linux computer. Pick up some Sonos gear for your bedroom and turn it into a Roon endpoint. Get a big tablet and a stand to make it your dedicated Roon browser and visualizer. You don’t ever have to stop tinkering unless you want to.

2 Likes

I would really recommend going for a true backup solution and not simply mirroring or copying a disk. Depending on the setup, a simple disk copy will not protect you from accidental deletion of files or file corruption.

HyperBackup, which I mentioned for backing up to the cloud, will also allow you to create a backup to an attached storage device. It will allow you to make and keep backup snapshots and automatically manage those. For example, you could configure the system to keep a snapshot for each of the last 7 days, a copy for each of the past 6 weeks, the past 12 months and and annual copy. It does this in a smart way so that only file modification take up space. HyperBackup is available free of charge via Synology’s Package Center. Giving that hit sounds as if you already have the disks and the dock, the only investment you need is time :grinning:

2 Likes

Exactly this. You described it perfectly. The problem is, most people dont think like this, they want hardware and thinks the software is just part of it and should be ‘free’ in their opinion. Ofcourse the software development costs are always included in hardware/streamer but they dont see it cause they have hardware in their hands.

2 Likes

My bad, I meant DAS (Direct Attached Storage). Hit with my first bout of covid this week, and things have been coming out a bit skewed. Lightroom is an example of a DAM.

1 Like

Thank you Jonathan for the information. We will tinker together something just like that! :slightly_smiling_face: We may be moving soon and renovate our home so I will have these plans in mind for sure!

This sounds amazing! Thank you Sven! There are so many different paths and solutions to take, but this one sounds like the easiest to at least start with :sweat_smile: Took a screenshot of your answer and adding it to my to-do list :+1:

1 Like

Spot on. RAID offers protection against one specific scenario - failure of a hard disk. It doesn’t protect against data corruption, accidental deletion, fire, theft, flood, failure of the NAS itself, or even (as someone reported to me last week) accidentally tripping over the power cable and having the NAS crash to the ground, in the process damaging both drives.
Data that exist only on one device (including a NAS, and including cloud storage) is vulnerable.

2 Likes

Well, certain forms of RAID do. The forms that keep multiple copies (e.g., esp. RAID 6, RAID 10 and their ilk) can employ data scrubbing practices to significantly increase the integrity of data corrupted on a single drive.

1 Like

This is similar to my experience with Roon. As part of my “getting back into Hifi” I treated myself to a Naim Muso MK2 which is where I first heard of Roon. I spent about two years mulling over the idea, not fully able to understand the concept. When I finally pulled the trigger one the free trial a few months ago I saw exactly what Roon offered.
The number of bands I’ve discovered alone is worth the subscription price. Add to that the simplicity of sending music to my various kit and it starts to look indispensable.
I understand it isn’t for everyone, but for someone who listens to 3-6 hours of music a day like me, it’s perfect.

2 Likes

You should also if you have a PC or System with some more Power check out HQPlayer ( especially if you want to really upsample as HQPlayer is not just a dual core app for DSP

Roon integrates with HQPlayer it just pushes the sound from Roon to HQPlayer and let’s it do some magic

I recommend it as you have a Zen Stream which supports NAA(Network Audio Adapter) so you can use it

Also nice to see you got the upgraded power pack on the Zen Stream which I found made a big difference I just went with the 15v

1 Like