Roon concurrent usage: Performances impact, limitations?

Hi,
As a networked system i’ve understood Roon is intended to be multi-users and multi-devices.

i’m curious about concurrent usage impacts, for example in a typical family setup where some users are browsing, others listening from local library or from TIDAL.

• Performance issue, hardware requirements ?
  • Legal limits on TIDAL account ?

Regards
BP

This might be useful to you.

In general, I focus on library size, not concurrent usage, as the thing that should drive hardware choices. To a certain extent the type of audio content you’re playing (particularly high-res PCM and DSD) and whether your output devices require format conversion (especially DSD->PCM conversion) could come into play if you were doing a lot of streams at once.

I do not recommend making overly constrained hardware choices like Atom, Celeron, machines with <4gb of RAM, machines that will put Roon’s databases on a spinning disk, and so forth.

We don’t artificially limit TIDAL playback on our end, but we are not in a position to comment on their legal obligations to the copyright holders or the rules that are enforced on their side, so I’m going to leave that one alone.

Thank you Brian.

From your useful message my understanding is that a Core hardware host specs like:
WIN NUC I7 / 16GB RAM / SSD , audio files storage on a powerful NAS
Would be OK to run family concurrent usage on a 100 000 tracks library (mainly FLAC redbook no DSD) as my projected setup diagram

Correct ?

Regards
BP

Yup. That setup looks great.

Sure, but still only a diagram today because some missing parts:

• Roon compatible high SQ (non Meridian) endpoints
  • RoonSpeakers
  • Roon Core running on Linux x86 powerful NAS (Ideally and to avoid a new box in my closet, but i understand your point about spinning disks).

Hope time is on my (our) side.

BP

Yup.

FYI @brian, I’ve got a CentOS-based NAS with support for RPM and docker packages, if you need a tester :wink:

Hope time is on my (our) side.

We are working on it! :slight_smile: