Roon confusing version numbering

Correct. A build is (usually) a daily version of a software release that is chosen as the “official” version of the release (2.0.25 or whatever). Apart from testers, and people on beta or early access programmes, the build is irrelevant. If a release (e.g. 2.0.25) is found to have a bug or needs to be withdrawn/updated, the next installable software should be 2.0.26, not an additional “build” of 2.0.25. Software dev 101.

Having had that little hissy fit, I will say that my opinion of Roon software dev is that it is of generally excellent quality…better than others comparable in size or complexity…

1 Like

I’m wondering if my ROCK is ever going to offer me an update to 1353?

All of my machines including the RoonServer on Linux are still on 1311 and no mention of an update whatsoever. Only my iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) have updated to 1352…

1 Like

It’s a staged rollout on purpose, but I think this can only apply to updates that are controlled by Roon, not the app store updates on mobiles. So I wouldn’t be concerned about your case.

What seems weird to me is the case of @mikeb because his Mac did update but his ROCK didn’t

1 Like

My ROCK is still on 1311 as well.

It shouldn’t bother me as it all works fine. It is confusing though.

1 Like

Completely agree with you. I’m amazed how many people posting on this thread either don’t understand your point, or are determined to argue that you’re wrong. Amazing. You are completely and utterly right, and the solution to avoid all this obfuscation is alarmingly simple.

5 Likes

Same experience for me here: 2.0.25 is out for five days - no update notification here until now - #21 by Tim_Rhodes

I’m not sweating it, but my Mac Mini core is Roon version 2.0 (Build 1324), my Mac Laptop is 2.0 (Build 1324 also, and my iPhone 12 is version 2.0 (Build 1352). Don’t know but that’s confusing enough to me. I’ve all my settings for automatic update. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes