Roon & Control 4 Integration - Think Installer Did it Odd

I am new to control 4. I had it installed last week. I previously had a harmony system for 10 over years. My question is on how the installer integrated Roon. I am not happy with how it is set up but wanted to inform myself a bit before contacting the installer.

System details for Roon and this music listening function: Roon Nucleus as my core/server. Bluesound node as my endpoint going into my Anthem AVM 90 via digital coax.

On my Harmony I had a simple activity set up that would start the AVM, Switch inputs to the Node Coax, I would then control Roon with my iPad (selecting music, play pause…). I could only use the remote for volume, no play/pause, skip song. Now with C4 I can control those additional functions but I dont care for how it is set up and while talking with the installer he had no idea what roon was so I am thinking there may have been a different or additional driver that should have been installed for possible better integration.

My issue is it takes several clicks to get to where I want to be and most annoying it always auto plays on start up. So a song starts sometimes pretty cranked up and its jarring and is the last song that was played where ever I left off. I think things could be better. I think this was set up as a bluesound node “activity” and not roon. (I use the word activity because I am using harmony lingo as I do not know the proper C4 term).

Here are screens of the 3 steps it takes to get music going.

Then it auto plays whatever song was played last where ever it left off.

I do not need to choose my music on the remote nor want to. I use my iPad for that (to browse and select music.) I do want to be able to control volume, skip song, play/pause on the C4 Remote though. I also do not need all the blusound node presets playlists screen since I never use blue os I use roon for playlist etc. —> roon has my collection which consists of Qobuz streaming service and my locally stored music. The node is ONLY an endpoint.

Any help or knowledge would be appreciated. Just want to get some info before contacting the installer.

NOTE: I know I cannot change anything in the system as it is a C4 installer thing. My goal is to educate myself a bit before I have the conversation with them to change this. I did my due diligence with google searches and see there are roon C4 drivers but wondered if someone with knowledge could shed a little light on the way this should have or could have been set up.

Hi, @Paul_Wilson1

I have no experience with Control 4, but your setup does seem odd to me.

I have a few BlueSound Nodes in my house. I don’t use the BlueOS app at all. I set up the Nodes as Roon endpoints which allows Roon to control them fully including transport and volume. When Roon plays to a BlueOS endpoint, such as a Node, the endpoint will auto switch to Roon Ready.

Control 4 can integrate directly with Roon. Based on your screenshots, it looks like it can also integrate directly with BlueOS. I’m guessing - and this is an educated guess - that your installer integrated using the BlueOS integration instead of the Roon integration. I think you would be much closer to the experience you want if they’d integrated with Roon instead.

I’m referring to the integration described here: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/control4#Overview

That may be the place to start when you talk with your installer.

Does that make sense and possibly help?

2 Likes

Thank you gTunes. You are spot on. I called my installer and they are going to use the Roon drivers. Seems (like as you mentioned) they used the blueOS drivers by mistake. What you said makes total sense and is correct. You have been very help. Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.