Roon control tablet (Roon hardware)

So you do mind paying for the luxury of a dedicated remote then…

If you really wanted to, with root and minimal other apps, you could take a stock Android tablet and make it work.

I was using an elderly Galaxy tab in that manner just for Roon, just trying to keep it running.

Even without root you can lock it down and remove even web browsers.

1 Like

The Roon software works well on tablets - mainly! I just installed Roon on an Amazon Fire tablet and it works well (battery life seems short), and the tablet is “flimsy” compared to an iPad, but for $70…

My main beef is that Roon (it seems arbitrariliy) decides if the device should display in landscape or portrait. I’d like the option, but certainly landscape: hese devices can scroll you know!

On the Fire, Roon occasionally decides - momentarily - that it can display in landscape, rotates the display, states that the resolution is insufficent and locks up! The app seems to treat it as a phone and not as a tablet.

AS stated elsewhere, an (e.g.) iPad can be configured as pretty much a dedicated Roon controller and it works very well. However the bit of the equation that is not yet solved is a stabd to hold it on a table for example and to manage power so that it is is always available.

There is a thread in Tinkering (iPad controller mount) on this topic and there are some good thoughts on the topic there.

I’m inclined (when the move is complete and Roon is installed and the new two channel is complete) to have a crack at designing and machining a few alternatives.

Thoughts and input welcome.

BTW, the closest I have seen to an ideal solution is the Nativ Vita, but the price…

1 Like

No rooting reguired: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

It worked on a Fire 7 for me, but it is finicky

am curious how the ipad differs from Android tabs in use? I mean, a good Samsung pad is around 160chf here, and cheapest ipad 400chf. Are there Roon software differences which makes the Ipad a better bet?

EDIT: This is a genuine question, not trying to start the ubiquitous Apples vs Oranges war :wink:

1 Like

The major difference is a software one. I’m an Android user and I struggle with how iOS works, however, I know others who are the exact opposite. However, you adapt after a while and I wouldn’t have thought Roon would be too bad. I currently use both a Samsung Galaxy tablet and a Fire HD8 with the Google play store sideload. They are both different but you can use them.

thanks but you are referring to the OS i think ? Ie IOS or Android. Im wondering if there’s any noticeable diff between the Roon on Android as opposed to Roon on IOS experience (tabletwise at least)

I run the Roon remote on an ASUS android tablet. I have done nothing special to make it dedicated. In fact, I want to have other apps available, particularly a browser, IMDB, Wikipedia, etc., as I am often looking up things related to what I’m listening to. When I am running Roon, it is only Roon with nothing intruding. When doing other things around the house, I sometimes play JazzRadio.com or Pandora. I don’t get the desire for something so dedicated (aka, limited, IMO). No doubt I’m missing something.

From screenshots and looking at the remote in Windows, the software appears to be almost identical, the only difference is the OS and that has a minor effect.

Ok thanks. Not worth investing in an Ipad then, over a decent, much less expensive Android device, if you can get on with the OS. IMHO

Logitech makes a charging stand for the iPad Pro which holds it upright in landscape mode and charges it while it’s in the stand. That would fit the bill.

Yes, I use it, it’s great.

This stand by Compass works nicely

Yup, we have that mentioned in the cited thread, but it needs a (expensive) pro!

Cheers

Or for $200 total you can get a Fire HD 10 from Amazon, plus a charging stand/dock for it. That should work just fine. Or $115 if you are willing to settle for the 8" model instead.

The Surface/Go/Pro all have such a stand built-in which is very handy for Roon use. I have mine standing with my hifi equipment and the power attached. Simple magnetic power cable release to free it and move to a listening position.

I also have a Galaxy S2 tablet with the Roon remote installed, it works ok but isn’t as responsive and suffers from the annoying Android ‘Discover screen’ hangs/lock ups in Roon.

2 Likes

I still use a pair of old Atom tablets as remotes, and they do the job really well. One is a first generation Lenovo ThinkPad 10, the other is a Microsoft Surface 3. I’ve recently purchased a Surface 3 Docking station at a knock-down price (was $200, now available for $30), so now I can have it docked and displaying what’s playing, or grab it for use as a remote.

The Fire HD 10 is on sale today, $50 off, which brings the price down to $160 for the 10, $105 for the 8.

1 Like

I wish I could use my Amazon Kindle. I guess Roon doesn’t support Amazon’s android OS? Argh.

Depends which Kindle. Search the forum, there is a how to on the fire hd8 and 10. You need to sideload a few Google apps, including the play store but I use mine that way. For the best experience on the 8, you need totweak the display properties. Again, you can find it on the forum somewhere