Roon Core Becomes Unresponsive and Requires Frequent Restarts

Hi @Brandon,

You have my sincere apologies for the lengthy delay in responding to your message. Sorry for the wait! I hope you don’t mind, I’ve broken your post off into a dedicated topic thread where we can troubleshoot more directly.

Refreshing the database via the steps listed above (renaming to “Roon_old” and reinstalling Roon) will create a completely new instance of Roon. You’d only need to perform this operation on your Core machine, as the database isn’t stored on the Remotes. However, it’s always a good idea to reinstall Roon on your remotes after refreshing the database, to make sure that you’re running the same build/release of Roon across your network and to create stable conditions overall.

Your Tidal and Qobuz content are also stored on the database. If you restore to a backup after refreshing the database, your DSP settings and full library will be completely restored (unless there’s corruption in the database of the backup you restored).

The tech support team is going to pull logs to verify if your Mac Mini is experiencing latent corruption in the database. I don’t suspect it is, but since your Core unresponsiveness is a chronic issue, we’ll perform this check for due diligence.

You won’t need to uninstall, as renaming the Roon folder to Roon_old effectively performs a deep uninstall on your device by breaking the filepath to the system library on your device. You can delete the Roon_old folder once you’ve successfully reinstalled Roon and restored a backup.

Reinstalling Roon from the downloads link will provide you with the option of restoring from a backup on the login page.

2 Likes