Roon Core on a Pi4?

Can Roon comment on whether the new Pi4 (link below) has the capability to host a RoonCore:

1 Like

There’s currently no Roon core compiled for ARM, so without a release of Core for ARM it’s less about capability and more about possibility.

I’d say that it’s not quite powerful enough yet to reliably be a core. It might work for a few endpoints with minimal DSP, but as soon as you got decent DSP it would fall over. For that reason it probably wouldn’t be a great idea to release Core for ARM as it would open the floodgates of people complaining of crashes!

(I’d love to see this happen though - for a very specific use case of Roon while travelling without a laptop!)

2 Likes

I’d risk a guess: Roon is a .NET app. Therefore if you have a .NET runtime compiled for Rpi 4 you’ll probably can roll your own Roon core.

I agree that core running on the Rpi4 has interesting use cases.

Don’t you think it will be powerful enough for only streaming Tidal?

2 Likes

It already is able to stream tidal with Roon Bridge…a Roon Core it will never be.

I’d imagine uou would have the worst Roon experience using it as a core, sdcard performance wont be fast enough and the processor is way under spec. Same reason you cant run it on a phone. Roon is a very demanding app give it what it deserves.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused by that.
I did think that it was possible to host a RoonCore on a fairly basic QNAP NAS.
The Pi4 can be bought with 4GB of RAM and has a quad core processor. Do you really believe that it would be that far behind, and if so, is that based on some kind of experience?

1 Like

In the Roon recommended specs that’s a ‘fairly basic’ QNAP NAS with a full 64 bit gen 7 i3/i5 processor (or equivalent from AMD etc), SSD and fast I/O. The Pi4, for all its a big improvement over the previous Pis, doesn’t get near that in either processing or I/O.

2 Likes

But its not a very fast one, try DSP on it and it would die, much like under spec Nas devices will.

Also, Roon is using DSP for compatibility re-sampling. So even if the user has all DSP disabled, Roon will use DSP in the background if it is deemed necessary. Imagine a user with some DSD files and a non-DSD dac. That would certainly create trouble for an underpowered CPU.

Read this:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-server-on-an-arm-based-faster-alternative-to-rpi/58625/17?u=wklie

1 Like

http://www.roylongbottom.org.uk/dhrystone%20results.htm

Looking at benchmarks that compare Intel to ARM shows that the core is indeed not powerful enough.

I’m running Roon Core on a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini late 2009. Linux on SSD. I’m getting very acceptable performance and response. I’m not running any high load DSP and I don’t have any DSD files.

Looking at the benchmark results reveals that the C2D is 2-8 times faster than the A53, depending on the configuration, OS and compiler used.

There are better alternatives for the RPi as a server.

As has already been pointed out above, the fact it isn’t powerful enough is not the biggest issue; there is no Roon Server build for ARM anyway, so it is all moot.

Yet people keep asking. Amazing.

1 Like

I know it is almost like they want a sub-standard experience running Roon :wink:

My thanks for the clarification from Roonlabs. Much appreciated.

Not really sure where you’re getting that impression from?
My question was about the viability of what I’m assuming will be a very low powered solution that I can happily leave on 24*7. Feels rather overkill to run Roon on my current PC.

It was just a throw away joke… no offence intended. I understand the question you posed and it is a reasonable one.

EDIT: To answer your question, the best low power option for a Roon server is an Intel NUC or similar.

Here’s an interesting question: is this a device yet that will support HDMI multichannel audio via Roon Bridge? RPI3 couldn’t. JCR

I may be wrong here but I thought the issue with multi-channel was to do with Linux (ALSA?) drivers? As far as I know RPi4 (and 3) can do up to 8ch PCM over HDMI