Roon core vs streamer

My Roon core is a Mac Mini --> Ethernet to my router. My endpoint is a Lyngdorf TDAI-3400, connected to a WiFi extender --> Ethernet. I use the Roon Ready input on the Lyngdorf.

In searching various forums for information about how the quality of the streamer definitely does / definitely does not impact audio quality, I realized I may not understand how my configuration works.

I assume that when I am listening to Tidal or Qobuz, the Lyngdorf is serving as the streamer … correct? But if I am playing ALAC files that live on the Mini, is the Mini serving as the streamer or the Lyngdorf?

In both cases the roon server on your mini is the core and the output (file transport over ethernet via RAAT protocol) to your ready device as the endpoint.

Cheers
NOA

If you are using roon everything goes through the core and the music files are prepared there within the RAAT protocol. They are then sent to the end point which does the conversion to analogue.

Thanks NOA and Ged. I’m still not 100% clear on this. Before I got the Lyngdorf I had Roon on the Mini going to a NAD M51 DAC via USB. Was the Mini serving as both core and streamer in that case? If so, I assume that with the Lyngdorf replacing the NAD, the Lyngdorf handles the streaming function regardless of the type/source of file being sent. I apologize if I am being dense.

You are correct. If your dac is connected with USB to your mini than the mini takes over the streamer function as well, while with ethernet output it’s different as described already.

You can also have a look at the signal path showed in roon while playing. it shows quite detailed what of the components is doing which part.

Cheers
NOA

Got it! Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.