Roon, could you please get the basic usability stuff out of the way whilst you blaze new trails

I’ve been requesting this for over a year! It’s so frustrating

At least, begin to address all those bugs in Roon that are fixed by a Core reboot.

Or when, for seemingly no reason, the iOS Remote loses connection with the Core and stays in a ‘Initializing’ status until the Remote is restarted.

3 Likes

Speaking of reboots… When I had Rock on my NUC I was rebooting every week for something. I now have Win 10 on the NUC as well as HQPlayer and JRiver Media Server for remote listening and I have not rebooted once for Roon issues. The Tidal and Qobuz album retreival has also stayed more constant. Interesting…

I have a ROCK setup and it only ever gets rebooted or restarted if I have to move it, power fails in the house or a Roon update happens. However, very seldom do I have the Tidal login issue that a reboot normally fixes it does still happen from time to time.

This:

Why/ how does Roon pull off such such stupid artist conflation? The ingestion code is clearly buggy and needs attention. I have so much of this kind of Roon introduced conflation noise in my library. I don’t have any Snakes and Music in my library, I’ve never heard of them and there’s not even a band member in common. Fix it, please!

I’ve just been presented with this… It’s still happening.:-1:

Umm. Can you point out what is wrong here?

Head cut off in pic.

The now playing screen caused lots of angst in the infamous Roon 1.6 release. It still causes these type of issues. Metadata as a whole needs sorting. Tivo seems to be getting worse. I have loads of albums in my library with no review and with inaccurate genre tags.

Oh. If one has never seen this picture before, one might not detect it.

1 Like

More rogue artist object shit. What the hell is going on in Roon’s ingestion logic???

The real McCoy

Roon’s mess:

Tired of this crap!

This is what I get with Gary Moore

Yip, I get that too, but then I also get some of his albums thrown into the other Gary Moore who then lists as making appearances in the album’s associated with the correct Gary Moore.

I’d venture that the reason is I have more GM albums than you’ve shown and Roon’s ingestion brain somehow gets its knickers in a twist when it encounters an album it doesn’t know, creates a new GM artist object and from thereon out it’s a random crapshoot what gets allocated where. Highly irritating shitshow.

I have 19 Gary Moore albums as an FYI

Ya, I have original releases, remasters, Japanese remasters, singles, compilations etc.

The behaviour is not unique to GM, I’ve many instances of this Roon created shitshow scattered across my library and I’ve demonstrated a step by step recreation of the mess to Roon.

I don’t know if this is part of it but there is also a Gary Moore record engineer. I didn’t really notice until I got a Qobuz subscription but this Gary Moore has really a lot of production credits in really a lot of unrelated genres. He is re-mastering from Elgar to T-Rex and the Cure for example.

Roon doesn’t handle these sorts of doppelgangers very well at all. These sorts of “bridging” artists really mess up roon’s radio, recommendation and discovery algorithms I am sure. As you say there should be much more care at ingestion. Even some crude check on a list of known doppelgangers would help.

2 Likes

Would it be too much to ask to have header/field titles and to have them sortable when presented with lists like this:

2 Likes

I know people have asked for a normal manual and what they have is ok. But ROON interface is full of icons and symbols. Done are intuitive some not.

It would be great to have a symbol and icon key.

One eventually learns their function but to a new user I think it would be very puzzling.

A list would be good. Or a screen shot of each page defining the icons found there.

2 Likes

I think a current version getting the best of of Roon video would be good.
Including if and how it interacts with streaming services.

1 Like

Agreed… I still have no idea what some of them mean