Roon crashes after notebook screen turns off

Dylan, the Widows 10 “April update” just arrived for the troublesome notebook (and the other four computers in the house, even though this is June). The behaviour has now changed. The machine now again recovers from a blank screen using Roon, after the update was applied. In addition, fast population of album art with 64 bit Roon is working again. However, it continues to get very hot with extreme fan activity while the screen is blank with Roon. This was a second-hand reconditioned notebook I bought for use with Roon and I’ve just become aware that it has a TPM chip. It was a business notebook. I’m beginning to suspect this might have something to do with the issue. I’m going to play around with TPM settings and possible TPM firmware updates before getting back to you.

1 Like

Update on my problem. Another minor Windows 10 update arrived. My notebook continues to work in much the same manner with a my Roon core after I’ve managed to update the TPM module firmware, the notebook bios, video card drivers and anything else that can be updated. (With the latest minor update extreme slowness in populating album art with Roon 64-bit returned. I assume, that as always, reinstalling the 32-bit version will resolve this.)
However, the basic problem remains. When the screen dims with Roon core running in full screen my notebook goes into a fit of high processor activity and heats up so much it is uncomfortable to touch. If I minimize Roon before the screen dims, it does not heat up, and the fan does not come on. This is the case whether or not music is played on any device on my Roon network. Even if Roon sits there doing nothing the problem occurs. But if I use it with with Roon minimized (not on screen, icon in taskbar) there are no problems, even when playing music.
I have tried the same screen dimming experiment with dozens of apps, ranging from Word to Photoshop to standalone music players and Tidal. Only a Roon causes this odd behaviour when the screen dims.
I’m giving up on this and switching the Roon core to another notebook that does not experience this behaviour.

Hey @Toolio,

I wish to offer sincere apologies for the frustrations you’ve experienced here. If you decide you want to switch back to the previous machine and continue troubleshooting just let me know. The team can take a look at the logs after a test (as mentioned in my earlier response) and investigate further. Just let us know.

But for now I’m glad you’re up and running on the new machine!

Happy listening!
-Dylan

Hi Dylan.
No need to apologize. I’m convinced it’s some strange combination of Roon and this particular notebook. As I mentioned, I had purchased it refurbished to use only with Roon. It worked fine for a year or so, then things got strange. The good news is that I was using it in my second home in Canada, where I spend only about four months of the year, so it’s not a big deal. I’m in Brasil the rest of the time. I’ll now be using another notebook (i5 processor, SSD drive) that I know works fine with Roon, It recently developed a battery charging problem and works only when plugged in, so it’s an excellent candidate for a permanent Roon core machine. I am certain this will work out well because I’ve already used this notebook with Roon for more than a year in Brasil.
Cheers,
–David

1 Like