Roon created a mount point to a 2TB network share- in my user folder!

Roon Core Machine

iMac Pro (2017), 10-core, 32 GB RAM
Mac OS 12.3.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Orbi RBR50

Connected Audio Devices

Schiit Bifrost 2 via RopieeeXL / RPi4 → USB
Schiit Modi via RopieeeXL / RPi4 → USB
Apple HomePod via AirPlay

Number of Tracks in Library

25,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I recently added a NAS location to Roon’s list of storage folders in order to publish a Roon backup to the NAS. A few days later, I noticed that the size of the backup set in my cloud backup software had gone up by 2 TB! It took awhile to debug this, but finally I realized that Roon had created a mount point to the root folder of the network share as a subfolder of my user folder!

This new mount point:

/Users/asiegel/Library/RoonMounts/RoonStorage_dd1c7da3c51be4cc2e2dd93266fe450d859e6677

was interpreted by my cloud backup software as a newly created 2 TB folder that needed to be backed up.

Of course, I can just exclude this folder from my backup software, and it won’t matter much longer anyway since I’m in the process of migrating my core to a new Ubuntu box. But I wanted to point this out… introducing mount points to large NAS volumes can really wreak havoc with backup software… and it’s invisible to the user without a lot of digging (and kind of unexpected; I’m not sure why Roon would need to do this).

Thanks!
Aaron

2 Likes

Hi @Aaron_Siegel,

Thank you for the feedback; I’ve recategorized this to make sure that it’s seen internally.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.