Roon database backup on ROCK

Hello fellow Rooners,

I’ve just setup a ROCK, and everything seems to work as expected. I tried to make a database backup, but I apparently have no disk space left on the 240GB SSD that the ROCK software is installed on :grin: Do I have to get an USB pen drive or similar for backup? Where do you keep your ROCK database backups?

Never store backups on the ROCK itself. Use an external disk or a network drive.

It seems it’s not possible to use the internal disk for anything else but the ROCK OS?

It is certainly not advisable. I use a thumb drive as my regular repository for backups, with a second thumb drive for a secondary backup every fortnight.

1 Like

Nobody’s gonna prevent you from storing something on the disk, but it was never meant for anything but ROCK OS. Food for thought:

• What if you were to re-install / upgrade the OS? Likely those backups are erased in the process.
  • How are you going to restore your backups, when the the ssd crashed?
1 Like

I’m going that route for sure! I’m only using streaming, so how large should I expect the files to be?

Excellent points :+1:t2:

The M.2 drive is used solely for Roon OS.

Backup to a network drive or external USB drive.

1 Like

You can set the number of backups and the number to keep.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.