-Network Switch
Ethernet
-Roon Core
-Cary Audio DMS-800 PV

Connected Audio Devices

Cary Audio DMS-800PV connected to home network via ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

During music playback from Tidal or Qobuz playback stops frequently. The audio device in use will disappear, then after a few seconds will reappear and be in pause mode.

A post was merged into an existing topic: I have the same problem

@Mark_Simms, does this only occur with streaming music? What happens with local content?

It’d be really helpful if you could share your device settings and provide examples of the tracks that fail, including source, bitrate etc. Thanks.

Hi @Mark_Simms,

Please let us know what your status is. @Martin_Webster’s clarifying questions will help us a lot too!

I decided to look at diagnostics real fast and at this point, Roon hasn’t seen your core in 2 days. I set it to notify me when you come back on and this will allow me to take a deeper dive into what Roon might see as the problem.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Pardon the delay getting a response back. To answer the question of streaming versus local tracks, it has been both. Going direct to Tidal or Qobuz on my streamer yields uninterrupted playback.

The Roon Core was offline for a time so that I could eliminate it completely from the signal chain. During that time I did not have any issues as mentioned above.

I’m home and playing a local track through Roon (Core is back in the signal path) and using a 16 bit/44.1 album about 11 minutes into playback and the first interruption took place. I’ve restarted playback to see how long I go without another disconnect.

As far as setting go. The DMS-800 settings are MQA capabilities: decoder and renderer, fixed volume, 0ms Resync Delay.

Core setup: the only option enabled is "Enable Roon Radio Notifications.

Services: Tidal and Qobuz are signed in and enabled

General: Core is connected. No other options are enabled on that page with the exception treating MQA encoded content. I have that set to “Treat MQA as better than CD quality, but not as good as lossless hi-re content.” I tend to not play MQA if there is a hi-res alternative.

Pushing send on this now. I’ll get back when I have more to add.

Mark

Switched to a streaming 16/44.1track from Qobuz. Album played for roughly 10 minutes before stopping.

Mark

Switched to a 24/192 track streaming via Qobuz. Playback stopped at 3:08 into a 11:26 track.

Checked CPU usage; average 12% across the four cores.

Using Roon 2.0 build 1133.

Mark

And finally, I switched to aTidal MQA 24/192 track and playback stopped at 1:40.

Mark

Sounds like you are having packet losses since you lose connection and then it comes right back and you can select play to continue.

Example, this could be from the ethernet cables, switches or ethernet card etc.

I would try a temporarily run of a ethernet cable from the core directly to the router by passing the switch.

If it still acts up, then temporarily run a ethernet cable from the Cary Audio to the router by passing the switch with the core still hooked up to the router.

–MD

I’m suspecting the same since when I took the Core out of the signal path I also bypassed the switch that is a part of that path. New switch should have been here today…should.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Simms,

Please do let me know how your efforts in swapping out the switch go. I see errors in the logs that indicate that network devices are in fact dropping connection. Diagnostics shows you trying to enjoy the Talking Heads (a great choice) and then the connection drops.

There is another possibility that Roon’s SW is to blame and I will list the steps to address this below. It’s a relatively simple thing to try and would serve to eliminate the SW as a possibility!

Wes

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Wes,
Changing the network switch seemed to cure the problem. I’ll keep an eye on things but for the past day on a couple of different sessions all seemed to be well.

R/
Mark

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.