Roon downsamples DSD512 to DSD256 using Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro (MQA)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Imac 2017. Roon version 1.7 ( build 521 )

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro (MQA)
4G router - ethernet cable
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

TEXT GOES When I set up the Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro (MQA) Roon couldn’t identify it.
However it has been set up as a zone and Roon recognises the dac.
Everything was ok until I bought a DSD512 album. It appears that when I play this album Roon downsamples it to DSD256 with a high quality rating.
When I play a DSD256 album that becomes lossless.
The DAC supports DSD512 recordings.
In Roon the maximum rate I can use Is DSD256 as far as I can see.
I’ve got to ask why my DAC is not in Roons list?
Anybody any suggestions.

It seems there is no special driver available so you’re limited to DSD256 on MacOS X AFAIK.

You can read more about the Roon partner programs following the link but even if it were, this wouldn’t change the limit set by MacOS X.

DSD512 requires “native USB DSD streaming”. The Mac OSX kernel does not include support for native USB DSD streaming. This is not something Roon can fix. If you want access to DSD512, most economical route is use a Raspberry Pi (preferably a 4) as a Roon Endpoint. The X-SABRE Pro is based on the XMOS USB chip, if I recall correctly, and Linux has generic recognition of XMOS so should hopefully just recognize it.

For a device to be listed officially in Roon’s list, it has to go through a certification process. That involves the vendor sending hardware to Roon, and presumably also paying Roon for the certification process. But most devices will work anyway. The certification is just a formal blessing that it’s been tested.

I hear what you are saying but I do not understand why or how OS10 sets the limit to DSD256. Could explain it it please?

Thank you for that, finally somebody has explained something technical in a language I understand.
At least I know how to proceed.
Thanks

But, ask the manufacturer first to make sure. Another user had the same question a couple of weeks ago and was reaching out to the manufacturer.

You might watch that thread to see if he gets a reply:

I guess the real question is, does the Matrix use XMOS’ USB Vendor ID or their own vanity Vendor ID? If it uses XMOS’, it should be handled by (recent?) Linux kernels:

Otherwise, they’ll need to submit a patch to upstream to have their vanity Vendor ID added.

Yes, exactly.

You said you are on a Mac. Can you open up System Information (should be in /Applications/Utilities). Then click on USB in the sidebar. It should show you all devices found. Try to figure out which one is the X-SABRE. When you click on that entry in the scrolling list at the top, it will display info about the USB device. In that info is Vendor ID and Product ID. Can you please report what those two values are?

Thanks

X-SABRE Pro (MQA)
Product ID - 0x2008
Vendor ID - 0x2061

That is not in quirks.c, unfortunately. However, it lists XMOS as 0x20B1, which is close if you miss-read the B as a 6?

So one of the screenshots in the firmware update instructions for the latest firmware shows 20B1 as the vendor ID, which is XMOS. So it looks like it actually does use the generic XMOS USB Vendor ID and thus Linux should recognize it as supporting native DSD mode.

Latest firmware is from March 2020: https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/news/20200323484.html

Now I understand that the problem is with the mac how can I work round it. In the near future I’m going buy a music streamer, but for now I’m stuck with what I’ve got.
Is it possible to set the roon core audio on an external ssd and link that to the hard drive where My music is held and connect that drive direct to the dac.
Any comments and advice would be welcome.

In Roon the music always goes through the server, so putting music elsewhere would not accomplish what you want.

You basically have two options, get a linux device that allows the highest rate DSD with the matrix or use a Windows computer and load the Matrix drivers.

Thanks for that, I certainly no more than I did a few days ago.
Thankfully the problem can be resolved.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.