Roon drops audio intermittently with every song on SONOS

Hi @AMT I only need to wire 2 devices so a switch is just too overkill. For aesthetic reasons (no wires visible hanging around on the wall) I cannot install a switch. I don´t have a TV cabinet under my TV (it is mounted on the wall) and to keep my living room clean, clutter free and no obstructions, I cannot put the switch on the floor or behind the TV so it is a no go. Thanks for the advice! :wink:

I was desperate anyway :wink: So any advice would help! I am just so glad that my issue is resolved just within 1 day! Kudos to this forum and the friendly posters… yes, respect and help each other!

Eric I simply meant following advice from those that have war wounds from playing with this over a number of years.

I understand the no wires thing.

A splitter though will half the number of cables per Ethernet cable to the devices and you may struggle to get more than 100mb instead of 1000mb. 4K content on the TV may buffer.

I generally go with the dumb as they come Netgear GS105 or GS108 (or the GS30x) model’s as I have found them excellent and super reliable (and cheap) and currently have 3 within 25 feet of me in the living room here :flushed:

I know that the max bandwidth for the splitter is 100mbs but it should be more than enough to stream high definition content. Both Playbar and Samsung TV have 100mbs ethernet port and the RJ45 wall jack is connected to a 1Gbs port so it should be fine.

I use Plex to stream my content. So far I am getting mostly Direct Play and on occasions when the audio is not supported it will be transcoded. Everything works flawlessly so far.

My phone is a Pixel 6a for size comparison.

I have Ubiquiti managed switch… I like them to be smart :wink:

1 Like

In which case carry on, you are doing very well :+1:

Ah cool. :+1:

Hi my audio dropout issue with Roon is now resolved when I wired the playbar in a surround setup with sub mini. It has been working stable and flawlessly in the past week. I use an ethernet splitter to share the network with my Samsung TV and playbar. Works perfect! I use this one:
https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B09KYDRYZ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

4 Likes

Streaming through Sonos’s’ streaming protocol whatever it’s called “Sonos Steaming” or whatever, IS COMPLETE trash. Not sure who’s fault it is but either way it’s unreliable af.
However running Sonos devices from Roon via Airplay2 has been rock solid.
I have a fancy SOHO network that’s configed properly it’s not a network thing (I know a lot about this kind of thing), it’s a Sonos streaming implementation thing… again I don’t know who’s fault it is, but streaming over Sonos’s service from Roon is just not worth the headache at the moment

Shawn welcome down this rabbit hole.
Many of us have been here one or more time’s in our Roon ownership time line.

When it works it is great, when it doesn’t it is a.disaster.
Thankfully for those with modern Sonos and this issue there is Airplay and that works very well too.
It is worth mentioning though that for the vast majority of Sonos using Roon owner’s everything just work’s using SonosNet.
It is a strange one though

1 Like

Hi @Shawn_Oliver

Might be worth you visit this URL, it’ll show you your Sonos matrix data.

http:// one of your Sonos IP addresses:1400/support/review

example: http://192.168.1.85:1400/support/review

Then click on network matrix

Post a screen shot of the table it shows

1 Like

It’s been rock solid on Airplay 2 with this set up, just using Sonos Streaming I’m running into all kinds of problems

1 Like

Hi @Shawn_Oliver

All green, good start.

I’m curious which device in you cinema setup is connected via ethernet. While some can use Sonos all on WiFi (like me) with the Sonos app, with Roon I see many who have issues with Sonos cinema setups when the Playbar, Arc or Beams aren’t connected via ethernet.

It’s my Arc that’s got Ethernet, only other option is my sub in my office… but I’d rather feed the Arc ethernet because it’s such a critical part to the home theatre set up obviously

1 Like