Roon DSP better than DIrac?

I agree, same experience here.

That makes me recall a saying from my HomeCinema days regarding subwoofer adjustment:
“A rookie sets the level 20dB too high. An expert only 10 dB.”

At first a flat bass response sounds to “light” when you have been used to a boomy bass for decades. Also a flat bass response is only “right” at near to live listening levels regarding the way our hearing works (i.e. Fletcher Munson curves of equal loudness).
So it’s completely OK to have correction curves with bass boost for lower listening levels, different styles of music (80s stuff!) and different moods. Nothing religious about it :slight_smile:

That’s the beauty of it, with DSP enabled DRC you can craft the response to your taste. After all, that’s all that matters.

2 Likes

Hi roland once again thanks … will give this a try … really appreciate it

thanks a lot … will look it up

Hi Johan

which lyngdorf do you have ? I heard the 3400 in Bristol Hi-fi show today But couldn’t make a decision as it was noisy .

whilst 3400 seems perfect given that i don’t listen ovwe 70-75 db and my Accoustic Energy 520 is 90db i am thinking 1120 would be more value and easier on the wallet .

I have the 1120. My speakers are the Wharfedale Lintons rated at 90 dB / 4 ohm. The 1120 is a true 4 ohm amplifier meaning it is a 120 Watt per channel amp. It has plenty of power on tap for your speakers. I can strongly recommend it.

You don’t need a plug-in with the current version with Windows. I assume that is also true of Mac? Mac has an advantage because Dirac can run at native sample rates, at least that is what I am told. With Windows and Dirac, I ran everything at 24/192. I play a lot of 24/176 content so don’t like that.

I like Dirac but it seems like the 3.0 version sucks TOO much life out of the room. That however works extremely well with multi-channel because the effects become exceptional. With Stereo, it makes it sound like I am in a recording studio, with spatial cues removed.

Hi Karl,

I agree . I seems it tries to do too much. Wrt to the plugin in, if If I have not mistaken your , yes ,dirac installs a virtual device on mac and shows up on the Sound Settings as well as the Audio midi