Roon DSP / EQ for Focal Utopia

Did you ever get an answer on this, I would be interested too.

Thx

Just follow screenshot posted below to do simple bass boost. Iā€™ve tried it and itā€™s not bad but prefer with no eq. Find it doesnā€™t sound as detailed in the bass when using the eq but can see how this can be good for some music. I came from a bass heavy headphone prior to Utopia, so actually surprised Iā€™m good with them as they are.

Edit: trying it again now I prefer at least on this Smithā€™s album. Going to leave eq in place for a while and see if stick with it. Itā€™s a very subtle increase.

Hereā€™s current view of eq.

I might give the one Audeze posted a try just to hear it. Just make new bands and enter values they posted. Iā€™ll post screenshot if I figure it out.

I donā€™t have any issues with the highs so not sure what Iā€™ll think.

The Audeze graph makes it sounds like a different headphone. Warmer, more texture and weight. Lose some of the airiness. Iā€™ll have to spend more time with it to see if I find it more musical. Normally Iā€™m against using EQ but believe this one is to correct issues.

Not sure if using EQ degrades the sound quality at all. Chord want itā€™s dacs fed the original source file. But if roonā€™s implementation doesnā€™t actually degrade the file, think this would be ok.

Just in case you were not aware of the AutoEq project that provides tons of EQ and PEQ settings and convolution filters, you may want to try them out. Their settings, filters, and graphs for the Utopia is available here.

While I do not own the Utopia, I recently installed the convolution filter for the RHA CL2 in-ears in Roon and it has made them far more natural sounding and brought in what I felt was missing in the bass. I may have lost some atmosphere in the process, but for my headphones and the specific convolution filter for it, I prefer the sound with the filter.

The above link includes frequency response graphs (before and after correction), parametric EQ and standard EQ settings, in addition to the convolution filters I am mentioned above.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! I was waiting for something like this for a long time :slight_smile:

This is awesome thanks. My Utopias are sounding better than ever!

1 Like

I ended up preferring no EQ. The Audeze listed one is very nice sounding but I thought it took too much edge off the guitars.

In my earlier days of headphones I had a Senn HD650 and it has a nice lush sound but had same issue with guitars. Then I found Gradoā€™s RS1 and this was my answer but lost some of that lushness. I eventually got a very rare Grado PS1 and this feels closest to Utopia based on memory alone. Itā€™s that quick snap and very tight fast sound. This is what Utopia has but even better sound and comfort but think EQ takes it in more Senn direction.

Thank you so much! Iā€™ve recently upgraded to Focal Utopias and the bass didnā€™t sound quite as powerful as it did when I demoed them in my dealerā€™s showroom. They were attached to a Pathos headphone amp in the showroom and I was thinking of buying an amp. However I use a Chord Hugo 2 for desktop duties and the Head-Fi forums think its sacrilege to damage the clarity of the output with the euphonic distortion of a 3rd party amp. Also, the Hugo has only just tipped over from red to yellow on its volume control (second lowest setting) so it obviously isnā€™t struggling to drive them. This preset just lifts the lower regions without impacting clarity in upper regions or bass tightness. Brilliant! Thanks again.

I recently upgraded from the Hugo 2 to a Dave using the Utopias as my only headphone. With the Hugo 2 I thought the Utopias sounded thin with the white filter but better on the 2nd-green HF filter.

I didnā€™t think the Utopias needed any more power than the Hugo 2 but what a big difference the Dave makes just in terms of power and fullness. The resolution and separation was something expected but not the power.

Iā€™ve heard the Utopias are supposed to sound much better than the Hugo 2 using the Hugo TT2 also do to power. I would think eq may improve the sound on the Hugo 2 but itā€™s not needed once has enough power.