Roon DSP EQ Settings

With my experience of DSP parametric eq starting with a Z-sys in 99 and using all manner of parametrics thereafter , I cannot see how those filters can really work efficiently to change the sound appreciably , the Q values are very very high … you need lower Q’s to actually hear the effects…what you have illustrated are essentially notch filters (apart from low/high pass/shelves)

Test tones may consist of discrete frequencies – but music rarely does. What you are setting up with a very high Q peak filter at 8 kHz, for one, is a very narrow resonance at and around that frequency. As others have pointed out, it is so narrow that it may not be audible with most music. Regardless of audibility, spurious resonances generally are not desirable in audio. If your parametric EQ curve were a loudspeaker frequency response measurement, for example, analysis likely would be that the high Q peak at 8 kHz might not be audible, though the existence of that high Q peak would be a flaw in the frequency response.

AJ

[Moderated]

Try this
http://blog.landr.com/eq-basics-everything-musicians-need-know-eq/

1 Like

You seem to be operating off of several assumptions:

1. The Abbey Road Studios filter you cite is an 8 kHz high Q filter and not a more broadband treble filter centered at 8 kHz.
  2. Because a filter is associated with Abbey Road and George Martin, it is good or its use is accepted practice.
  3. A filter used selectively in mixing/mastering should be used universally in playback.

Your position would be stronger if you substantiated those assumptions. Otherwise, you are just a guy advocating some unconventional experimentation with parametric EQ.

AJ

Yikes. Well, After taking a room measurement with Dirac Live (I have an Emotiva XMC-1) I decided to look at just right left speakers and noted a treble frequency that dipped to nearly 8DB in some areas. So I though in some Roon EQ with a small Q, like .75 just for S & G’s and WTF. I’ve been running through the catalog with very big smiles. Even my wife is loving the presentation.

I’m an audio purist but can’t fault the effect. Now, back to nirvana :wink:

The above is poor advice and is not the way parametric eq should be used

BHi, @Rodney_Gold @WiWavelength @Michael_De_Salvo
Looking at my name Anders Strengberg and Anders String Strengberg on google and you will find about 8-10 pages, about that I have done as a professional musician and studio producer, studio engineer :+1:.
So will you have more to write about :grinning: !

This EP Made in 1984 was the first record that I recorded, produced and mixed! At the age of 21 years old/young.
https://youtu.be/-syiCaE6UFE

But there’s more so go in and listen!

On SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/anders-string-strengberg

On TIDAL you find this Album there I have remade songs from the largest troubadour in Sweden he lived between 1740-1795 https://tidal.com/album/62301211

and this 30th Years Anniversary EP.

This is the last record I have made 2 new recorded versions from 2015 and 2 remastered version from the original single 1985.
You can read more about here.
http://sacrificeproject.com/

Best regards

Anders String Strengberg

1 Like

Anders, I dont care what you have produced , those filters with the extreme Q’s dont work at all … they will do little or nothing to change the sound at all and will introduce artefacts…you have a limited understanding of how a parametric eq Q works…
If you were using a graphic with NO user adjustable q settings , you might have a chance of them working as a graphic normally has a fairly gentle slope about its centre freq.
Here is a version of your curve that would have an audible effect…
https://scontent.fcpt6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20638388_795330640647539_6161185888964609489_n.jpg?oh=30cd84a2e7a73580fcfa0f0e00e3739b&oe=5A2C2793

I used the same gains and centres that you used , but the q values are 3 , its a HORRIBLE sounding eq preset if you use it like it is shown , but that is because of it using all your suggested frequencies all at the same time.
I posted it to show what the freq bumps and dips should look like.
If you switch eq on or off , the difference is audible … your original filters with the ultra steep Q values are not audible whether eq is on or off.
You wouldnt use all the filters at the same time , for example , if your mix was too bright , you would pull down 3-4khz somewhat and wouldnt boost 8k

Hi all Roon Users on the Community,
After getting advice from @Rodney_Gold @WiWavelength
About how I have made my DSP EQ Settings and I have been thinking of how I does in Studio, Mastering and Live to much!
So after these advice, so have I made a little different Roon DSP EQ Settings!
Of course can you who’s using my other EQ settings and if it’s making your equipment sounding better, continue to use it!
But I advise you to try this instead and you can change it so it’s sounds great in your equipment and the most important! Your ears :+1:.

It’s nice to hear that you think about it if you try it!

Best regards,
Anders

1 Like

Anders @Anders_Strengberg

I have no idea why others on here have such a problem with trying out your suggestions.
Anyway, I have a more practical request - for which I would be grateful for your help.

I would like to EQ out the constant hiss and other artifacts in low res internet radio aac or mp3 feeds
http://www.181.fm/?p=mp3links

Any suggestions on how best to make these stations more listenable?

Regards

1 Like

To those who like me might be listening to internet radio stations that have a low res feed, here is a first attempt curve that takes out most of the hiss. This really makes listening much more tolerable,

“High Shelf” Filter at approx 7.2KHz down -30dB with Q = 1.0
You will have to rescale the Range to 60 dB using the drop down menu
This works great for pop music type radio stations (Top 40 Hits)
For more mellow music stations -20dB works quite well.

This really is a fantastic tool that needs further exploring. Please keep in mind this is a first shot at reducing the hiss artifacts when playing low res media. Fans of treble will miss some of the top end sizzle but in my setup and my hearing preference the trade off is a less fatiguing sound.

1 Like

Cheers Anders enjoying this EQ very much Tks

1 Like

This might be an interesting experiment with Roon EQ

1 Like

Hello my friend,

You have really got into the world of how much, a Eq setting can make on the Mix :+1:.
It’s great to see :smile:.
I agree on the most in the article, but not I think it’s nr 2 the bass drum!
Okay it’s depends on music style and taste!
I like to make like in the article but, between 220 HZ to 240/250 HZ so not as wide frequencies like between 300-600 HZ!
(I have produced to much hardrock/metal)! There the bass drum shall be more klick and fat on the same time :smile:.
But I shall testing to do like the article says, next time :+1:.
Otherwise it’s a great article, my friend.

Keep on digging in the world of frequencies.

L&R
Anders

1 Like

Hi Anders

I am well into the fourth rock album streamed from Tidal via Roon using my Naim Uniti Nova Streamer / Amplifier and Spendor 7 Speakers applying your suggested Roon DSP EQ Settings from Aug '17. The difference on first listen is definitely positive. Instruments and voices seem cleaner and tighter and the whole sound more together with the dynamics better balanced. It seems to “rock” more. Thank you.

Best regards
Neil

2 Likes

Hi Neil,
Thanks for your kind words I’m glad that you’re like my DSP EQ Settings.
They are setup like a Mastering or Remastered EQ Settings, so to some Albums on TIDAL or Qobuz does it working great!
It’s because my EQ Settings is using the bass, low-midd, hi-midd and hi frequency’s, that the Album already have but I make some stronger and take away some of them, so it open up the sound like you wrote! “ Instruments and voices seem cleaner and tighter and the whole sound more together with the dynamics better balanced. It seems to “rock” more

So it’s like a Mastering Engineer doing when he makes a Remastered Version, on a Album for example a 30th Years Anniversary Remastered Album!

If you have any questions or anything else you want to know…, please write me a message!

Love & Respect

String

I too can endorse this approach, particularly for clearing up muddy bass and removing some of that midrange shout / resonance that seems so common in popular recordings (possibly in my head).

For classical the modifications needed I found to be less dramatic. In particular I was able to remove the sub 80Hz dip. So presumably a quirk of amplified instruments?

How about some screen grabs of our EQ settings that we can share to one another.

1 Like

Hi all!
Can you show full information about allpoints?
Thank you forward!