Roon DSP EQ Settings

Fortsätter diskussionen från Any Roon DSP presets to share?:

I have put up a “ordinary” Studio and Live EQ setup, with photos and some explaining!
So it’s free to try and experiment with, it works for all kinds of music.
If you have any questions, so just ask me.

All the best
Anders

2 Likes

I saw the photos yesterday, what happened to them?

Hi,
I was in a bad mood and got a (stupid comment) on it!
So I removed it, sorry.
But I can put it up or send it to you, okay?

1 Like

Many people believe that it needs big difference on the different frequencies so it looks like a mountain up and down!
But it’s hopefully good music with great quality you are listening to!
So it’s already sounds great and are great mastered, so it’s only needs little changes after mine and your ears!
So we EQ Settings you have got from me now, is little like bands do when they release Remastered version of their records.
The great ones like Jimmy Page (guitarist and the one who produced all Led Zeppelin’s albums) for a couple of years ago!
So remastered he the first 5 Led Zeppelin albums and he only put on a little bass and the frequencies that I have in my EQ Settings!
I have both the original versions and the remastered versions!
And it’s just fine and little changes he have done, the way you do when your a great and professional musician!
When we have Whitesnake on of my favorite bands and favorite singer David Coverdale. They or David have released some of the albums in the end of the 70’s and the beginning of the 80’s, and he or someone have tried to change the sound completely! Slide It In from 1984 sounds terrible compared to the original version! So it’s just a shame! Unfortunately are there many records that are destroyed by remastering!
So changes with a EQ shall be nice and make it a little bit better, when is a bad EQ demanding bigger changes!
But the Roon DSP EQ is of high quality, I have used it many times in the studio because protools and other computer programs have the same EQ as the one in Roon! So 1dB on this EQ is like 2,3,4dB on many other EQ’s!
Anders

Here’s a photo of the different frequencies, gain + - and Q value!
I didn’t put them in right order but just checking the different colors and if it’s white = off. Put up the eq setting and go to EQ Presets (down to the right) and save it choose a name for it ex. Anders EQ :grinning:.
When you can try to change gain on the different frequencies and make the Q value wider/smaller! Good Luck :thumbsup:.s

So this is a great start to setup a EQ,
Frequency 1600,0 kHz makes the vocal clearer and more wright in the face!
Frequency 6300,0 kHz helps the treble to be nicer!
Frequency 8000,0 kHz is the beautiful treble (I love that frequency)!
Frequency 11000,0-11200/300 you can see on the Q value it’s little wider,
It’s a frequency that sounds bad, if you play a song with much cymbals and put it on/off so will you hear that they become a mess of cymbals, but with it on the cymbals becomes clearer!
Watch the first photo!
Frequency 4000,0 is also a bad frequency especially for guitars and vocal…
Frequency 230,0 HZ is not sounding good and by taking it down (you can see that the Q value is wider like on 11000,0 kHz! So it’s takes most at 230,0 HZ but also a little bit of 240/250 HZ and 220/210 HZ)!
It’s making the bass guitar clearer and more klick on the bass drum!
You can also see that every frequency are on Peak/Dip except the first (green color) stands on High Pass and frequency on 25,0 it’s the lowest bass that are fading down from 25,0 HZ to the low frequency register that we don’t hear!
Depending on what speakers you have and if you have a subwoofer!
So can you try to set it on 20,0-30,0 HZ and you can change 12 dB/Octave, because you can see there’s no Gain (dB) or Q value!
Instead different dB per Octave!
Don’t forget to put Automatically Apply Changes on Yes (up to the right side) so when you try to change anything so will it Automatically Change your settings).
So you don’t sitting and change things and you don’t hear no different! It takes one or two seconds before it changes depending on how fast your computer etc is!
Good and just write to me if you wonder something so just ask.

Don’t forget to set the Headroom Management!
Because the EQ gives more dB to the music, so -4/-5 is enough!

I hope that you who try my EQ Settings will have a better sound than before!
Don’t forget, this is just little changing and you can change it as you will!
So it’s fitting your speakers, room and ears!

Much enjoy,

Anders Strengberg

4 Likes

Thank you, Anders, for re-upping your settings. I really appreciate your explanations. I will try it with different sets of music

Thanks Oliver,

I hope you like it, but as I wrote!
It’s just a basic setting with lots of possibilities for each person to make changes, for equipment and ears :+1:.

Best,
Anders

Thanks for putting it back up. There’s always someone out there, who has something negative to say. If it doesn’t work for you, then move on. For the rest of us, it’s something to tweak with and have some fun. I appreciate your efforts and the very detailed explanations.

Your other thread on room correction is very helpful. Currently, I’m to busy in the summer and have yet to purchase a microphone. So this is a great start.

Thanks again,

Shawn

1 Like

Thank you, I will give some dsp settings a try.

Thanks @Shawn_Costello and @Cantodea

A little advice, if it’s to much treble for your taste!
So take down the 6300 kHz!
If you want more brilliance so put on a little of 8000 kHz!
If you want more deep bass/sub so take away the High Pass filter, by chance it’s color to white or put the frequency to 20 HZ instead.
You can also change the dB/Octave, if you do that you will notice how the High Pass curves changing!
As I wrote in the explanation so is 230 HZ, 4000 kHz and 11.000 kHz BAD sounding frequencies! But try to give them more - or more + or bypass them by changing their colors to white, so will you hear that I mean by BAD frequencies :grimacing:!

And keep a eye on the Headroom Management!!!
So it’s not clip, I made a few changes myself yesterday and it started to clip!
The star or the sign there you can see the different settings in Roon becomes orange/red if it clips! So I had to change to -6!
Just a reminder that you keep a eye on that, or put it on example -6.
And when -4 or -5 if it doesn’t clip!

AND DON’T FORGET TO PUT AUTOMATICALLY APPLY CHANGES ON SO IT STANDS ON YES!!!

Good luck with your tweaking,
Anders

PS. Don’t forget that if you wonder something just ask, I’m here and assisting you DS.

1 Like

Here’s a Playlist that I use for EQ Settings and to play in different new equipment!
I play it in 24/192 (the EQ Settings are tweaked after it)!

Of course mixed! So not from start to the end so don’t forget to put it in the mixed format :+1:.

Have anyone tested my EQ Settings yet?
It would be nice to hear that you think about it :pray:

All the best
Anders

I’m out of town right now but before I left I started it and extended the frequency from 25 to 20 and changed the slope to 6 dB/Octave. This brought out more bass. When I get back, I’m looking forward to how everything works as you add/subtract and change some values.

I originally just plugged in your values with no music because I was short on time. Then I tested it by turning DSP on/off that’s when I knew I had some tweaking to do. I had time to do the Low frequency since that’s the easiest to recognize for me.

BTY I have Goldenear Triton 5s with a Rel R328 Sub. I love Rel’s because of the way you connect them to your power amp with your main speakers.

Sounds Great @Shawn_Costello

I also LOVE REL :+1: I have 2 R-528SE who I also connect by the High-input!
So I play them in stereo and it sounds Great :heart_eyes:.

Anders,

Thanks for pushing me to try out the Parametric Equalizer. I am a new Roon user so was curious about the DSP engine and that’s when I came across your post. Just so you know that I have tried using your settings - here is a screenshot.

Truth is I prefer the sound without DSP so I may not be the right guy for this test. However, enabling the DSP Engine with your settings was not too bad. I just need some more time with the DSP engine to get a handle on things.

But I have to say this is a fantastic feature of Roon. Definitely needs revisiting.

Regards,

1 Like

Hi @Nikhil_Nayak

If you put the last Low Pass so it’s turns into white instead so will it sounds much better, because now you have taken away all the high treble!

I didn’t use the DSP either for a longtime but it has been much better with the different versions of Roon!
So even if you don’t use it, can it be good to have if you have some music that my needs it!

Anders

Hi again @Nikhil_Nayak

As you can see on this photo!

Is there something happening when you say the curve “turns into white”?
Just checking what you mean by that term.

Adding the Low Pass filter at 12,000 kHZ is very interesting.
Would you say it takes away some of the high frequency “glare”?

Hi :blush:,
No, the curve doesn’t turns into white!
If you check all the different frequencies who are active, so does they have different colors! Okay?
And on the left side there it’s stands Type Peak/Dip or Low Pass! Is the same color as the different frequencies have! So if you want to check your frequency setting, so click on the same color and it turns into white instead! It’s turning off your frequency setting so you can hear the different!
So it’s means if it’s colored it’s ON and if it’s white it’s OFF okay :ok_hand:.
A Lowe Pass filter can be great to use, but I haven’t put it wright so that’s why I told you to turn it off!
But you can try it yourself, you see the pencil :pencil2:️ if you click on that so does all the different kinds of filters up and you can read about that they’re doing in a EQ!
Please reply if you understand that I “trying” to explain also if you wonder something about this!

Best regards
Your friend Anders

1 Like

Yes no problem. Was just checking if I understood what you meant.

I’ve been trying out the different settings and the sound
Very powerful tool to see what’s going on with the signal.
Like I said before this is easily one of the best features on Roon.

Will play around with it some more …

1 Like

Hi @Nikhil_Nayak

No, but you should maybe adding the Low Pass filter at for example 16.000 kHz or higher, but you can absolutely have it at 12.000 kHz!
With another curve that the one I only put up with no fine tuning!
And! It’s depending on your ears, taste and equipment, so there’s no wrong or you can’t have it like that!
It’s totally up to yourself how you setup a EQ, because it’s your ears, taste and equipment that decide it!
It’s why I only used the usual bad and good frequency when I put up my EQ Settings and a explanation about who’s frequencies!
Because I can’t setup a perfect EQ Setting for someone else, without being in that room and using that equipment!

Got it. I thought you had an insight on the 12,000 kHz band that I had never seen before.
Will fiddle around more with it and report back on what I hear.

1 Like