Roon DSP with HQplayer

Can you use the Roon DSP functions (e.g. the convolution) if you want to use HQplayer as the output to the endpoint?

Can be done but you can also use the convolution directly in HQP itself.

This way HPQ handles all your DSP as a single DSP engine.

I think both Brian and Jussi have recommended doing convolution in the same software as upsampling. Not sure why, I used to convolve in Roon and upsample in HQP and it sounded pretty good. Now I do both in HQP. I don’t think I could pick the difference, but I have a nice warm inner glow.

And this is what we all seek in this thing called life…

:grin:

1 Like

Another point, which will depend on individual use case.

I don’t know how many people know, but with HQP Embedded (including the USB bootable HQP OS version), you can feed any TOSlink input into HQP with the help of a little miniDSP USBStreamer…

So you can apply convolution (or whatever other DSP) to whatever TOSlink source and you use HQP as the single DSP engine.

For example, I can use the official Tidal or Spotify apps and play to Chromecast Audio and this feeds HQPlayer OS which does all the DSP. This kind of scenario isn’t possible with Roon, until they one day release an input type feature like HQP has…

Sometimes I hookup my Apple Airport express to HQPlayer and discover new music via Apple Music form an iPad.

If I’m using headphones, I have HQPlayer handle my Bauer crossfeed DSP in addition to up-sampling, applied to Spotify/Apple Music/Tidal/whatever.

For a speaker setup, substitute crossfeed for convolution and again apply it to Spotify/Apple Music/whatever.

If all you use is Roon and nothing else, it’s probably no big deal. But if you like the flexibility of different sources (not just RAAT) and want to have a single DSP engine, HQP is great.

2 Likes

Technically Roon could send 64-bit floating point intermediate format to HQPlayer, and HQPlayer has always supported this, but Roon doesn’t…

This would make the split DSP functionality more feasible.