Roon End point that is neat, compact and fuss free?

Neat and tidy, with a bit of DIY, though:

http://www.youplala.net/2018/03/17/packaging-our-bedroom-raspberry-pi-for-hi-fi/

I got the speakers off eBay for £30, then worked on them a bit too.

http://www.youplala.net/2017/03/31/turning-wharfedale-diamond-9-1-speakers-white/

That makes for a very practical, tidy, very small real estate system in the bedroom. Cheap too!

5 Likes

Amazing design :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Same Raspberry Pi and addon amp, but in a very small box. No control outside of the Roon remote.

Same-ish speakers, added powered sub to add capabilities in the large room.

Still very tidy and small, the box is taped to the back of the sub, the cable to the left speaker is going through the wall, using banana plug faceplates.

2 Likes

I like the black case. Who makes it?

Agree and you will get a little better detail too turning off Loudness. Funny many of the Sonos One reviews I have read recommend turning loudness on.
FYI if anyone is buying a Sonos One because of built in Alexa don’t expect too much. It works very poorly with a limited subset of commands at present. A lot of people are just using an echo with the Sonos skill instead of the Sonos One alone.
As I said earlier I prefer the HomePod and sold my Sonos One’s and also prefer HomeKit for privacy reasons. I don’t need Amazon selling off my data any more than they already do.
Siri on the HomePod has also been more reliable for me with household items like lights etc.

I use a $170 MiniX micro PC. Works perfectly as a Roon Bridge. Takes a few steps to make it work as it should. First is to disable ALL windows updates. If it tries to update during music playback it will skip and stutter. Next is to remove login requirements so you don’t need a screen/monitor. Next adjust power savings to on all the time. Install and configure roon bridge and DAC drivers. Now I can place mini pc and DAC anywhere.

1 Like

Hi Peter, the Mini X pc is fantastic and I am also using one. It comes with Win10 and I have set the updates to install automatically between 03:00 and 05:00. That way there is no risk of interrupted playback. Before the Allo DigiOne the Mini X was my primary candidate for the fuss free end point I was looking for. It was dual band wifi reception and it is super stable.

Cheers

The recent forced update from Microsoft Feature Update 1709 kept trying to install. This used up all PC resources and would bog down machine. Thing is this update will NOT work with the MiniX. After I disabled updates it works great.

1 Like

Ahhh… trust microsoft updates to mess up a good working pc :-P. Thanks for the heads up by the way. I have my mini X tucked away for the last few weeks so great to know what to avoid :slight_smile:

Best

An old thread but I thought I’d post an update. My quest for a Roon end point that is neat, compact and fuss free has taken a lot of turns and twists. I have tried mini pcs, MacBook Pro, MacMini, Allo Digi one, Bluesound Node 2 and then 2i, Sonos connect (not a ‘real’ end point I know), a BluOS NAD receiver and even an Apple TV (again, not a real Roon end point).
Out of everything I have tried, the Allo Digi One and The Sonos Connect have been the most stable and fuss free in operation. Sadly the are not the most neat / compact as they require an external dac. However, they tick the boxes for stability, reliability and fuss free operation.

The Allo DigiOne in particular has been stellar. I am using it in wireless mode (stuck a usb wifi antenna / / dongle) running Volumio on it and I have installed Roon Bridge via SSH. The only drawback is that the Roon Bridge seems to conflict with the EQ plugin I tried to install via Volumio. I need the EQ as I like to operate the Allo DigiOne as a Spotify connect receiver. The EQ plugin conflicts with Roon Bridge so I removed it. I am using the DigiOne as a Roon end point exclusively now and switch to the Sonos Connect for Spotify.

All this means resulted in fuss free and reliable operation with great SQ but it means I have ended up with tons of (little) boxes and cables. I think I am good at hiding them well at least.

@Anthony_B you were right… they Pi devices seem to be breeding… I am now waiting for a DigiOne Signature to be delivered :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I am surprised by that statement. I have both a Sonos Connect and a Bluesound Node 2i. I would put them in the same category, with respect to ease of setup and use.

The Sonos connect does not require an external DAC; it has analog outputs, though you can debate the sound quality. The Node 2i also has analog outs and I think on that device, the output sounds pretty good.

If all you want is a fuss-free Roon end-point, consider a Bel Canto eOne Stream. I recently wrote a review for the device on Head-Fi.org and I was really impressed with ease of setup and, more importantly, the built-in DAC section. Fantastic sound. But, yes, more expensive than a Sonos Connect.

1 Like

Kenneth, many thanks for the heads up regarding the Bel Canto. It certainly reads like an impressive unit based on your experience. I have not found a dealer in my area (Wales, UK / Athens, Greece) but if I do, I will definitely go a have a listen.
Regarding the Bluesound… I have been quite unlucky I think. The Node 2 / 2i has received tons of accolades both from magazine reviews as well as from various users. This is the reason why I have actually tried it 3 times over the past 2 years. I think it sounds better than the Sonos connect when using the internal dacs. In my case, I encountered a number of bugs when using it, especially as part of multiroom audio. I know that other users have been a lot more fortunate and very happy with it. Sonos in comparison has been bug free for me, especially over the past 6 months with Roon’s gradual improvements with it. I tried the Connect with and without a dac and I found that I greatly preferred it with an external dac (V90 and Rega Dac in my case). The Node 2i in comparison, I was quite happy with the sound without an external dac. I just could not deal with the glitches I encountered with this system (no matter how much I tried). I know a lot of people love it and that is why I kept trying.

Cheers

1 Like