Roon Endpoint Streamer

All MQA certified transports including U1 MINI will only be able to MQA Core decoding (the first half of MQA Full Decoding) to digital outputs - same as Roon. Only products with analog outputs (i.e. MQA DAC) can do MQA Rendering (the second part of MQA Full Decoding), because MQA Rendering is tailored to specific DAC hardware.

1 Like

Thanks Peter. I was hoping the transport done the full decoding then it allowed me more options when choosing a dac.

2 Likes

Am I correct in thinking then Peter that the D2 can do the the second part of the full MQA de-coding?

Yes, all Lumin products with analog outputs do MQA Full Decoding, or optionally MQA Rendering. When set to digital output (SPDIF or USB) they do MQA Core decoding.

1 Like

Thanks again Peter for your swift response.

I like the DigiOne and its an amazing for the price. I have been able to compare it against some of the streamers out there are it stands up very well. But when when you compare it to something like Lumin U1 mini, the Lumin has a more detailed sound with a larger sound stage. But after I while I found the Lumin to be a little fatiguing and sounding a bit too digital.
Henry mentioned Im probably looking for the sound of a high end CD player, this is exactly what Im looking for but cant seem to find it. Mistakenly I listened to a DCS Bartok, this is the sound Im looking for, but its way out of my price range and the DCS Bridge is still a long way off.

The system its going into is an Audio Note Soro amp, 2.1x DAC, AN/E Speakers.

1 Like

I’ll second the Allo DigiOne Signature. Regular Raspberry Pi power supplies power mine. The DigiOne Signature has its own on-board filtering so off-board exotic filtering is of limited value. Shanti does conveniently combine clean and computer power in the same PS and does have them properly isolated.

I also have a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro in the same system. I can’t tell them apart. I actually have 2 or these with one in the study for the headphone system (Schiit Magni and Modi) Both streamers take appropriate care to keep the digital grunge in the Pi.

If you use other supplies or use the display (needs a 3rd supply) be sure all are plugged into a single power strip to minimize potential for ground loops.

I’m not familiar with the Pi2AES but its enclosure does look nicer than Allo’s box and it appears to have an AES-3 pro interconnect in addition to the related SPDIF/TOSlink interconnect.

I have my DigiOne Signature mated to a Raspberry Pi 7 inch touch screen showing the Roon touch screen controller. Shows what is playing and has transport controls. I’d welcome a solution to the enclosure problem for this product.

You are on the right track to use RCA or BNC interconnects to your DAC. USB unless done by wizards in the DAC lets computer noise in. Raspberry PI is notorious for noisy USB.

TOSlink has its place for TV connections. Glass can’t cause a ground loop. (Hum).

1 Like

Thanks David that overview was useful.
I ordered a Digi Pro+ yesterday just to have a play with and try to tell the difference between USB (Filtered) and Coax and Optical to different devices.
Sounds like I should have some fun playing with that.
I see the newer metal case at Hifiberry do looks quite nice, but not sure if I will be using it or not longer term yet. If I decide to stick with it I will order one of them.

Regards

Mike

You should be pleased. I have a Digi+ and a Digi One Signature in the main system. I can’t differentiate between them. My DACS are from Schiit and are very good at retiming and jitter elimination. One handles the TV. The second handles the other material. With Roon, I can play the same material to either when the TV DAC is switched from TOSlink to SPDIF.

David I am looking forward to it.
Got a number of options available to try

Mike

I’m waiting for the day when Allo releases a nicer case for the DigiOne Signature. I’d LOVE one that encompasses the entire system and a touch screen, but I don’t see that happening. Funnily, your solution is the one that Googles up. I just wish there was some way to not have the Digital Audio RCA coming off the top like that. Do you have any photos of how the back looks for reference? Is there a particular screen + stand kit you recommend?

Just another fan …

I have. Pi4, std Pi power supply and a Digione HAT , Roipeee XL feeding coax to my Audiolab M DAC, never a blip.

It’s rebooted daily, only problem I had was a corrupted SD card . Reimaged with Roipeee XL all well again

Bit of a frab getting the card in and out, I finally resorted to taking it apart and reassembling

It also equally well on a pi3

Good Morning all .
Why do you separate all this ? All the different platforms and cables will kill the SQ .
Roon Nucleus+ to LINN DSM over RJ45 .
Finished . All you hear is music .

No discussion over power supplies, cable quality or other .

1 Like

David it arrived early and I was up doing listening tests until about 2:30 AM :grin:
Very impressed with it and the simplicity of Ropieee at getting it up and running.
Might look at an analogue model to test against.
Tinkering is fun when it aligns with the enjoyment of Music.

Regards

Mike

Give HiFiBerryOS a try. Only supports HiFiBerry products but Bang & Olufsen supports development. Same drivers but no Allo drivers.

Thanks David I might give that a go, didn’t even give it a thought when I was on the site
Thanks for the heads up. Does it have any interesting features?

Regards

Mike

Looks pretty and is easy to configure endpoints. I use it for the HiFiBerry stuff. You’ll need to stick with RoiPeee for any Allo devices. HiFiBerry is HiFiBerry devices only.

I have RoiPeee XL on gumby.local. That has the support for the 7" Pi display. It also supports most high quality hats/bonnets. XL adds AirPlay and Chromecast support and maybe Spotify.

1 Like

Hi John, I am coming to this discussion late. I have a complete Audio Note system. For my endpoint I use a TotalDAC streamer, with the roon nucleus connected to my router in another room. The TotalDAC streamer I use a SPDIF Sogon cable to my Audio Note DAC 4.1x Signature. From there to my Jinro etc. I can’t recommend the TotalDAC enough - simply love the warm embracing sounds it helps convey. Well worth reaching out to Vincent at TotalDAC who I have found very helpful.

Jon

David I did try HifiBerry OSon one of my streamers and have to say very happy with it and works just as well as you said. Thanks for the heads up

Mike