ROON endpoints as Airplay receivers

Despite largely using RPi based endpoints that support AirPlay, I’d find this an immensely useful feature.

• Allow you to use Roon DSP
  • Allow you to stream services Roon doesn’t support (MixCloud/SoundCloud/Podcasts etc) to non AirPlay endpoints via Roon
  • Allow you to use Roon zone grouping with AirPlay
  • Allow consistent volume control and limits (set in Roon)

The fact that (some of us) can use our existing endpoints/streamers to handle AirPlay and/or that you can do this already in a clunky / convoluted way with the Entrypoints extension, doesn’t stop this from being a useful feature for many - especially if implemented well.

I’m not sure I’d agree this is a Non Room issue/request, I guess it depends on how you use Roon. If you use it simply to stream to a single endpoint that also supports AirPlay and you don’t use DSP or volume limits in Roon you probably see little use. If you see Roon more as a central multi room / audio distribution platform then why wouldn’t it be useful if that platform could also distribute external audio sources.

Sonos (admittedly also a hardware platform) supports both AirPlay and line inputs (via Port).

This yet again feels like a feature request that would prove useful to some people - the forums only reflect a tiny (and probably quite self selecting) group of Roons user base - without causing issues for those who didn’t use it, yet the replies instantly jump to gatekeeping (“This isn’t what Roon is”. …says who, is there a written manifesto?), convoluted workarounds (what is wrong with wishing for a well implemented solution instead of a hacky workaround) and negativity (rarely useful or constructive), before the request has even had a chance to be explored.

1 Like