Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony

Thanks for your suggestion.
But I have some failed :frowning:

What can I do for this?

@onkal you need to enable XMPP on your harmony hub. see https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00008OsX3CSAV/update-to-accessing-harmony-hubs-local-api-via-xmpp

Thank you. I soluted it.
One more question :slight_smile: ;
Will I run run.bat every time I run Roon? Or is there another solution?
Harmony deep doesn’t look when I close the command screen.

I’ve installed this and got it working, many thanks for developing this.

My main use case is allowing volume control for my Naim pre-amp directly from the Roon application. It saves dipping into the separate Naim app to do this and avoids having another remote cluttering the room.

Using the Harmony application directly it works exactly like the It remote, i.e. when you press the volume up or down buttons the volume control moves rapidly. Letting go stops it instantly.

When controlling from within Roon the increments are tiny and if you hold the volume up or down to make a bigger change you can hear the volume pot motor moving in individual small steps, i.e multiple ups or downs rather than a constant up or down.

Whilst this is great for adjusting the volume slowly (fine tuning) overall I would prefer the control to behave in the same way it does when used from the Harmony app or IR remote control. As it stands it’s easy to hold it down for too long and then the volume increases/decreases slowly over a number of seconds and overshoots. It is pretty slow.

I don’t think the issue is one of latency between Roon, the plugin and Harmony as when I touch the volume control in Roon the pre-amp does start its work straight away. I can see that as the display on the Naim pre-amp is switched off during normal use and it lights up instantly when the volume button is touched. I think the issue is that Roon or the plugin are sending very short commands so many commands are required to make an appreciable change to the volume which results in the considerable lag.

Any thoughts, is this a bug or config issue?

Thanks

Richard

I find it the same with controlling volume on my Active speakers. Not sure what the issue is here. Adam the dev of this extension has been absent from the forum for some time, hes the only one who can answer but I think life has got in the way of his dev work here.

Sounds like it’s not a config issue then.

It’s not too bad, as you may know the Naim Classic series have quite a limited usable volume control range, from 7 O’clock to 10 O’clock really so the side effect of this makes fine tuning the volume nice and easy!

I wonder if Roon purchased the rights to this and thus the reason Adam went dark…

Still works great for me but would like to see it continue to be developed with new features and custmization

Or at least a message in this thread to confirm wether he has stopped working on the add-on and what the future plans are…

Hate to see this functionality go due to incompatibility with possible future Roon changes.

1 Like

Harmony remotes have been my go-to choice for many years. Now, the Harmony Elite hub based remote which works perfectly inside my cabinetry with my IR based components.

The Roon extension would be ideal for me! I control Roon with iPad, manage volume, etc with my Harmony to XMC-1 pre/pro. One controller for playback would be a great solution.

However, I am reluctant to attempt installation of the Deep Harmony feature set. Why? I am computer literate enough to know I have no experience at this depth, and I fear I might f#%k something up that I could not correct.

I remain hopeful that 1) this feature set will be available as a done deal from Roon, and soon, or 2) a set up protocol “for dummies” will be available for those of us who are reluctant to just fly head first into strange waters.

So, I wait…

Hi Mike

I do understand what you say and you can literally f**k erverything, but:

1. It sounds very unlikely to me that you can damage your system with the extension because -you can just disable the extension in roon -its just a batch file which can be deleted if it causes problems (at least when running windows)

2. Set up isnt that easy (if done wrong it just wont work) because you need to -enable the feature on the hub -configure the extension in roon -make the extension run on startup of the core automatically…but every step is described in depth in this topic/on the project website and i dont think it can be done much better, unless you buy some individual support or something like that

3. you can do a backup of your computer before starting and if it fails at least you know then that your backup strategy is not working… and you do only have to fix your misconfiguration :smiley:

4. For me it works perfectly :wink:

Do you have an old PC or laptop laying around, use it. Worse case the extension won’t be seen or won’t work but you’ve done no damage to anything otherwise.

The extension works great for me running on a dedicated mini PC from 2012 with Unbuntu and the Docker container. It was a bit fiddly to learn how to set it up but since it’s been 100% trouble free going on nearly a year

Thanks to Larry and Christoph for your encouragement. But at this level of work, my confidence in my computer skills make me a technocoward. I will wait a little longer and see what happens. In a perfect world, this extension would be available from Roon on the next upgrade.

I love my Nucleus too much to risk it. My loss, I guess.

1 Like

I downloaded this extension today (2.1.5+260) and when I run the run.bat, I’m getting ECONNREFUSED. My firmware is 4.15.250. I have 2 harmony hub in my setup.

[20190707-192246.653]! e[35;1mroon-extension-deep-harmony:harmony e[0mHarmonyConnect [1:1] - connect failed Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.1.13:5222 e[35m+2se[0m
[20190707-192246.657]! e[35;1mroon-extension-deep-harmony:harmony e[0mHarmonyConnect [1:1] - retrying 192.168.1.13 (infinate attempts remaining) e[35m+2mse[0m

Follow this to enable XMPP access

Apologies to everyone for my long absence.

As some have guessed some things got in the way - including a long foreign development contract that took me away from home and out of contact for what was supposed to be a few weeks and ended up just over 6 months. It’s nice to be back home at last! I had meant to post a message here to that effect, but never got around to it during the initial hectic weeks before it went out of mind - mainly down to a lack of timely open internet access.

Re volume control increments - within the code and Roon’s stored settings I did make this configurable but have never included this in the settings UI, mainly because I wanted to explorer some better ways of doing volume control that are made a little awkward due to the way Harmony interacts with the Roku protocol and also how Harmony interacts with the NEC IR protocols for repeatable commands (which while it obvious works, is not actually quite right when you look at what it does in a protocol analyser and compare it with native remote controls).

So right now as for as this extension is concerned, yes I will be finishing off the work that was underway to move it to the latest Harmony firmware as well as seeing if the protocol change will let me address some issues I have never been happy with (volume control response as mentioned above being one of them), but right now it looks like I probably have a lot on catching up to do in terms of what might have changed in Roon, node and various other bits this depends upon.

3 Likes

Welcome back Adam!

Nice to see you again!

Welcome back. Good to here it was not a serious ailment .

Hey @Adam_Goodfellow, I’ve been using this extension with AudioLinux the past few months and it’s worked very nicely. Just wanted to say “thanks!”

Are you accepting donations?

David

Hi David, Thanks for your comment - good to hear its working out :slight_smile:

Re donations - there are details at the end of https://github.com/Khazul/roon-extension-deep-harmony-release.

1 Like