Roon Extension: Roon Web Controller v1.2.0

The song format is not exposed in the Roon API, so I am not able to add that. It is a popular request, but with the current state of the API, it is not possible.

Keyboard shortcuts are already on the todo list, but I don’t have an estimate on when it will be completed.

The whole app is in need of a rewrite to address specific needs for different layouts like touchscreen, desktop, TV, and screen reader. But the current code would not support it. I have defined requirements for each of the layouts, I just haven’t had the time to implement.

I moved into a new to me house in April and have been focusing my free time on the immediate needs of the house.

It seems to me that the “Show main menu” button should be changed to a button toggle between Now pleing and “Library browse”. You now have to click twice to switch between the library and now playing. This solution extends this transition. But if the “Quee list view” is added then this is a good solution. Because then we have three options to choose from. Thank you so much for all the help and understanding I have received so far. I understand that this is extra work in Your spare time, which can be used for other important matters. The more I appreciate what you do and the work you put into developing the application.
Best regards Robert

That’s a good point. I agree that a menu that you have to click through that only contains two options should be a switch instead.

Hello Mike,
Please add two options if the Roon API allows it:

1. add to buttons in the library in addition to the already existing buttons: (Artists, Albums, Tracks, Composers and Tags one more button showing recently added artists, CDs etc. For me, only the recently added CDs would suffice.
  2. The second option is to add the option to sort albums of the artist by date of release in the settings. It helps in listening to the entire discography of the artist.
    Thank you in advance for considering the proposal.
    Regards Robert

One more question. As a new user I am probably asking a lot a lot, but for me nothing happens when I press the “Tags” button in the library. As I understand it, this should enable searching by tags saved in music files?
Best Regards Robert

For the menu:
From a UI perspective, I agree with you. It should just toggle between Library and Now Playing.
Unfortunately, to implement that would require an architectural change on how that page is presented. The page you are viewing is actually three separate web pages. One for the Menu Button, one for the Now Playing Screen, and one for the Library.

At this point, I would rather spend what little free time I have working on the replacement for this than doing an architectural change to the existing extension.

1 Like

For the library:
I agree with your use case, but the Library page simply shows what the Roon API provides. So changes to the sort options is something that I am just not able to implement.

For the “Tags” button:
This knowledge base article describes what the “Tags” feature is.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Tags

But essentially, it is not the tags in the files, it is arbitrary tags that the user puts in to help them organize their collections.

Thank you for explaining about Tags. I understand that i cannot add Tags from the “Web Controller” level?

I also understand the limitations of the Roon API. So adding a button “Last Added” in the Library is impossible because of the API restriction?
Thank you very much for the explanation. robert

Everything that can be implemented with the library is already implemented.

The library part of the API is read only, so you can’t modify tags using the API. And adding any addition sorting options is beyond what can be done with the current API.

Hello Mike
Is it possible with the next version of the Web controller to describe the play pause button so that it shows whether the music is currently pushed or played?
It would make things much easier for me when I don’t know what the reason is that the music is not playing.
And two more small requests.
Description of the “search” button in the library. This is not a big problem because it is the only unsigned button.

The second thing is to move the time counter and information away from each other how long the song is because currently my screenreader reads it as: 1: 335: 20. It’s difficult to know because the screenreader interprets it as one value and reads it as one number.

I have one more question about displaying the artist on the Now playing screen. Web Controller Sometimes displays the artist to me twice, with the second occurrence of the artist’s name being stuck together with the first As is the case with the time counter and the duration of the song. I think the files have been tagged exemplarily and this is not due to the artist’s double tag.
Thank you very much for your help and work put into the development of the Web Controller.
Regards Robert Tota

Hi Mike,
Please update the Zone List button to read the name of the zone selectet. For me it is better to know what is selectet Best Regards Robert
to show the value of it.

Hi Mike,
Does this mean that it is possible to add sorting of recently added records to the Roon database or sort albums by release date in the artist’s discography order?
Regards Robert Tota

Hi @Mike_Plugge,

I have installed the Roon Web Control on my Ubuntu Server via github. It went fine and I like the extension very much. I created with the help of systemd an init process so that the extension could work in the background. Now my question, it is a normal behaviour that I have to enable the extension in Roon after each stop of Roonserver? I think something could went wrong here. Unfortunately I am not a Linux pro…any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Hello, is there any news regarding the new version of Web Controller supporting Quee?
Does the current Roon API allow to add the rewind and fast forward function of the currently playing song?
Regards Robert

Hello,
Will Roon WEB Controller work properly with the latest version of Roon v1.7?
Does the Roon v1.7 API add possibility to enable new options for Roon Web Controller?
Regards Robert

The small amount of use so far things are working fine with Roon 1.7.

1 Like

The API rarely changes. The last time it changed was between major releases.

So any extension - including this one - should work the same as before. And no new features in the API either…

Thank you very much for your answer. The Web Controller works and it makes me very happy.
Is there any news about the new version of Web Controller?
Best Regards Robert

I’ve just set the extension up on my QNAP. You need to set a TCP port mapping for the container in Settings/Advanced/Network. Leave the container port at 8080 and map to a free port on the QNAP ie 9099.