Roon Extension: Roon Web Controller v1.2.0

I think you misunderstood. I didn’t change anything Mike did.

All i have done is make a chrome shortcut with target paremeters to make the web controller web page load like an app. That didnt change anything Mike did.

I did previously make an electron based web app called RoobWeb but even I stopped using it in favour of the chrome shortcut to launch chrome in a web app. (that i posted above)

I also showed an option to copy the chrome.exe and rename it to roonweb.exe. Thats not a compiled anything, its your existing Chrome.exe (Assuming your using Chrome on windows)

@Hilton_Kelly , apologies, I did misunderstand. And I still don’t understand what you did… but that’s neither here nor there. I need to find the link to the guy that updated all the CSS to work with a variety of devices so I can update all my “stuff”. Cheers.

I finally got node.js and the extension to run on my Mac :ok_hand:

Does anyone know the Applescript or Workflow commands that can be saved as an “app” to launch this extension on Mac OS? The app can even be saved to startup automatically upon bootup, but I am not technical enough to create the commands.

Can you guys talk about your uses cases for this extension. It seems super popular but I can’t think of a use case that the normal apps don’t cover. Thanks!

This is an old picture, but I have this inexpensive HP Stream laptop (WiFi only) that can be used anywhere, with any browser. Here it’s in my living room, where I can control the most used features like “Pause, Play, Next, Previous” from my kitchen with an inexpensive remote control I bought on Amazon. I enlarged the cursor on Windows so it’s easy to see from a distance, and doesn’t require I grab a device and open Remote when I’m busy (or covered in food). Hope this helps.

You can control Roon from a browser even if the device won’t support any of Roon’s apps. It was more of an issue when there were lots of iOS devices in use that weren’t up to Roon spec. I use it now with touch screens around the room without having to have separate machines to run Roon remote.

1 Like

I can’t run the full Roon client on my work laptop (long story), but I can totally bring other devices to work and connect to the guest wifi. So I installed it on a RaspberryPi and going to take it to work tomorrow. :slight_smile:

I have to admit, getting the extension installed/running was probably the hardest thing for me. Kept trying to run it in docker (on my NAS with Roon) and that didn’t work. So now it runs directly on the Pi.

2 Likes

Dumb question: anyone know what the bottom center button (between shuffle and volume) is for? I press it and other than toggling on/off I can’t tell what it does.

That button toggles Roon Radio on and off. With it on, as you probably already know, Roon Radio will start playing once the current queue is finished.

1 Like

thanks everyone! makes sense now :slight_smile:

Amazing extension, and life saver for getting a Roon display on a low resolution (1024x600) device.
Any idea why the Library View is empty?

The work on this extension is fantastic ! What would be the best way to go to customise the screen interface ? Can we customise the html output ? Shall I do my own extension?

Thanks !

Nice case/screen, what is it?

RasPi 7" touchscreen + this case

Thanks Aaron, that’s great. I’ve got the same screen but a comination of the case (and perhaps just perspective) makes it look much larger.

Can you guys talk about your uses cases for this extension. It seems super popular but I can’t think of a use case that the normal apps don’t cover

You can literally search with the term “use case” on this thread and find multiple examples :sweat_smile:

Here are mine:

You can do a lot by modifying the CSS files but depending on what kind of tweaks you’re after, you might also need to touch the code that generates the HTML. It can be a bit messy, i.e. there’s no strict separation of functional code vs frontend templates, but if you have experience in web dev, it’s not a massive effort.

I made my own fork over a weekend and a few evenings, but it also included minor functional changes so just tweaking the look will be faster:

Thanks! As i’m running roon on a linux server I don’t have access to the web display pages and css… i think i have to go with an extension to achieve this. I’ll have a look at your post!

Extensions like Web Controller don’t really care where you run your Roon Core – extensions need to anyway run on some separate server. And there you’d have access to the code of the extension, including CSS etc.