ROON Feature Requests, Problems, & Comments from New User

I really find the Horizontal Scrolling in Album, Artist & Composer view just awful, so counter-intuitive and it doesn’t allow you to use the mouse scroll wheel effectively no matter how low you put your mouse settings. Vertical scrolling as an option please.

Vertical blue scroll bars are far to thin and difficult (awkward and annoying) to grab, especially if you use twin monitors, don’t have 20:20 vision and young person dexterity and precision with a mouse!

Poor Classical cataloging - does not recognize all albums by the same composer, even when all tracks are by the same composer and do not include any other composers.

Will not correctly amalgamate box set discs if the have a comment after the folder name (or a large number of discs), ie:
CD01 [Symphony No.1]
CD02 [Symphony No.2]

Can we have a right click option on any album to go to file location please under Edit, not buried down a couple of levels on the track menu.

Ability to playback music on our mobile devices in our own home/wifi network. I’d love to sit out in the garden in the summer with my phone and a pair of headphones and be able to listen to my music. I can with something liker a mojo+poly (when they eventually sort the drop out bugs), but why not on my laptop, pad device of phone with or without a portable dac (such as a dragonfly etc)?

Why just one core per licence when the price is so DAM high? I’d love to take a laptop, HD and use my music collection on holiday and use ROON. I can with JRiver and other software, so why not ROON? Most software these days covers all our personal devices… This is not unreasonable.

Ability to change Album art size. Most competitive software allows you to adjust the size of the album art displayed. This is important depending on your monitor resolution too, but sometimes you want to see more per screen, sometimes zoom to larger.

Minor point: 14 day free trial is a bit of joke. ROON is a excellent, versatile but complex piece of software. So how on earth can anyone get to grips with it, and feel comfortable to make a fairly substantial financial decision in just 14 days … it’s impossible. If you are working full time (and I guess most of your demographic will be) at best that’s 2 weekends. Get real and offer a minimum of 30 days from the get go. Better still 60, then they may just be so fully immersed in ROON they may not want to be without it.

For such a complex and expensive program it’s disappointing that there are no instructional video’s online. Sure there are FAQ’s and the support forum, but the latter is a real pain to use and often subjects lead nowhere. I hate using user forums. They are very time consuming. I know you can sometimes get answers there eventually, but I’d like to see a little time and effort in a producing some video answers to basic setup, user interface and common problems. It would have saved me so much time. As yet, there’s very little on You Tube apart from gloss-overs from 3rd parties.

One other thing (perhaps) preventing me from subscribing or buying just yet is the change to the interface in ROON 1.6. Whilst this is not a major change in any way or form, however just a few little things have just highlighted a slight cause for concern. I like the ROON interface, but it seems they are probably always going to tinker with it, but with no option for the user to retainer the interface they perhaps preferred. I’m all for more functionality if it’s useful, but not at the expense of annoying the user. I like choice. I like like user customization. But I don’t like the uncertainty that the interface may change to something I don’t like. Just look at iTunes. It was a reasonably good interface once. But Apple have fucked around with it so much and so often it’s now a complete abomination and one of the reasons I no longer will buy any apple products. Unfortunately I have to use it every once in a while and every time I do it’s changed in appearance, usability and I can’t find functions I used before. They force upgrades upon the user and it’s the apple-way or no-way unfortunately. It’s a terrible and such arrogant stance. Not everything new is always better. A good program is one the user can set up and customize their own way in they want. For me ROON needs more of this.

1 Like

You can stream to your mobile device and computers on wifi just fine.

You can do this as well. Many of us do.

I assume that you mean something other than what the “Allow for more covers and photos” gives you (under Settings/General)?

Agreed, and it’s been raised with the Roonies.

How … my devices are not listed?

Have you installed the client on the devices you want to use?

Phones and Tablets are private zones by default so if you are trying to see them from your computer you won’t until you go on the device in Roon and change them from private. When in Roon on the particular phone or tablet the zone should show up fine if still set to private.

Imho on a touchscreen device horizontal scrolling feels more natural. Like flipping through a book. Vertical scrolling is the one awful to use.
That’s the reason on modern web pages picure gallerys can be flipped thorugh horizontally.

2 Likes

The UI is going to keep changing so if that is a deal breaker best look away now.

1 Like

I can control room from my iphone if that’s what you mean, but I can’t play back on the phone

They are not listed under Settings / Audio so where do I find them?

Please add a screen shot from Setting / Audio from your phone.

Where are the instructions for doing this?

Each device is different especially Android.

My desktop is not touchscreen, which is where I use Roon the most. I find vertical far more natural.

what is Roon client and how to I get it. It’s not listed on the downloads page

No, i’d like to change the size so you can display more or less albums per page. Most competitive apps have this facility, usually via a slider.

It’s just Roon. Ged meant by “client” the Roon Control component which is part of most downloads - see the details on the Download page.

Once you understand what you’ve got, you’ll realize that there are no competitive apps.

Roon does have a switch, under Setting/General, called “Allow for more covers/photos”, which only has two settings, but it does what you want.