Roon for Google TV?

I just bought a new HDMI Chromecast with Google TV built in. Now I’d love to have a remote that would run on Google TV.

You should be able to setup that chromecast as an endpoint.
Just see if it is seen and configure like any other endpoint.

1 Like

Yes, as an endpoint. I want a remote, so that I can control roon with my Chromecast remote.

2 Likes

See I have an issue with content at times . . .
this is one.

My apology.

1 Like

Really imagine how awful it would be to navigate and use search to enter in any criteria, how would you be able to use focus or the advanced stuff . Google, Android TV or Apple TV interface are just not built for this stuff well all the music streaming apps for TVs are just awful to use to find anything. The UIs are very limited to what they are aloud to format the apps. Tried Plex once for music on my TV never again. Even the Tv stuff is a pain most of the time to find anything you want.

You can display the remote’s screen by chromecasting the mobile device’s screen. Then at least you have more interesting content on the TV - but operation would still be on the mobile

Yes, most of that wouldn’t work well. But Google’s speech recognition is the best, and simple things like turning zones on and off, or selecting a playlist and playing it on a zone, should be feasible. It wouldn’t be the iPad remote app, but something suited to the device’s affordances.

1 Like

It would still be quicker via your iPad I bet.

Except that I’d have to get up and get the iPad from whereever it inconveniently is. I’m not a person who always has a communication gadget handy.

1 Like

Bill, any Google TV discussion/request vis a vis Roon really is no different from that for Nvidia Shield TV. For lots of reading, see this search query:

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?context=topic&context_id=219461&q=Shield%20TV&skip_context=true

AJ

1 Like

I would love to see them port ARC to TV. Full remote capabilities wouldn’t be necessary. The capabilities of ARC would be great on the TV.

2 Likes