Roon for Linux [done in 1.2]

Great news @danny. I’m ready for testing!..

Thanks for sharing the exciting news Danny. Thank you. :smiley:

Great news indeed, happy to test extensively…and have the library to go with it.

Great! I am waiting for Roon Linux before trying - my htpc runs on Linux into my Devialet amplifier with integrated DAC, supporting DSD. Looking forward to give it a try.

Curious to know where Linux and Raspberry Pi development is?

I’m looking at implementing a server on a Linux platform (probably the FreeNAS distribution) and using Pi’s for endpoints. Like others I won’t touch Windoze with a barge pole and would rather avoid buying a Mac Mini or the like for end points. I will ultimately have four zones to drive, so a beefy FreeNAS server would hopefully do the trick. The other option for the server would be data on the NAS and a Linux/Intel as the Roon Server with the same endpoints.

They have an apparently fully working prototype of the endpoint software running on RPI. You can see what @brian says there about status of that, which I’d assume would extend to linux more broadly.

I’m pretty sure one of them also noted somewhere here that they’re making good progress on the headless server.

FWIW, I have similar plans: run the headless server on my new Rockstor (BTRFS-based) NAS, and maybe RPI as endpoint.

Both projects should be released within the next two months. I’m currently planning to release headless linux builds before Raspberry-Pi endpoints, but the projects are decoupled on our end. We demoed both in semi-finished states at RAMF, so they’re close, but you know what they say about the last 20% of a project taking 80% of the time…

1 Like

Can you comment at this point exactly how you’re going to release these? I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in hoping I can just do something like …

rpm -ivh http://roonlabs.com/linux/roon-server.rpm

… or equivalent in the debian world.

1 Like

And - please - let’s not overlook the Arch Linux equivalents… :wink:

1 Like

We haven’t finished those conversations internally yet. It’s one of the last steps involved in releasing this stuff.

Ideally there’d be a tool that could output different package formats; something like FPM maybe?

I think they’re missing pacman support ATM, but there’s a pull request for it.

Which is exactly why I could not resist one last plug. Thanks. :wink:

Ideally, I’d want something that you could compile yourself. Anything prebuilt is probably directly tied to a particular Linux distribution or dynamically linked to shared libraries. As an alternative, you could compile things statically and include all of these dependencies in an extractable archive. Somehow that sounds like a bad idea.

There may be constraints on provision of source code arising from proprietary technology or the terms of licences binding on Roon. I have no knowledge about that, just noting it as a possibility.

[quote=“scolley, post:34, topic:2116”]
And - please - let’s not overlook the Arch Linux equivalents… :wink:
[/quote]Yep, please don’t forget Arch.

1 Like

I must admit that I overlooked the whole ‘proprietary’ technology aspect. Perhaps things could be obfuscated to complicate reverse engineering. Not sure how far that gets us.

There’s no reason the binaries cannot be packaged in such a way the server can be packaged for various distributions.

Have you set a release date for the Linux core server? I hope to set up my test system to evaluate Roon in the next few weeks once I get a Linux jail running on my FreeBSD server.

Any news on this?

The Linux work is pretty much done, and has been for a while, but we can’t release it until the RoonSpeakers software packages are ready, because unlike the other platforms, Roon on Linux never had a “built-in” audio stack of its own–it only knows how to talk to RoonSpeakers + other networked endpoints.

We decided to do something a little bit more ambitious than initially planned with RoonSpeakers–the new audio stack that we’ve developed for RoonSpeakers is going to replace the existing audio components on all of our supported platforms. From a practical standpoint, this enables new RoonSpeakers functionality like synchronized playback, digital volume, and a few other improvements to work for local outputs, too. It also guarantees a consistency in behavior across a wide range of configurations.

It was inevitable that this would happen eventually, the change in plans is that we decided to do it all at once instead of phasing it out over several months. We feel that some of the intermediate states during the phase-out would lead to a lot of confusion and artificial limitations, which would be difficult to explain and more difficult to support.

This more-ambitious piece of RoonSpeakers work is under active development right now, in parallel with supporting a bunch of manufacturers doing integrations of their own. Once that stuff is releasable, we will release RoonSpeakers+Linux together.

5 Likes